U.N. Chief Acknowledges Staff Doubts About Disarmament Forum

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
Jan. 22, 2014, 9:09 a.m.

U.N. Sec­ret­ary Gen­er­al Ban Ki-moon on Tues­day ac­know­ledged his staff’s pess­im­ism about land­ing a break­through in a long-dead­locked dis­arm­a­ment for­um.

“When I con­sidered ad­dress­ing you once again today, some of our seni­or ad­visers counseled against it. They said there are little pro­spects for pro­gress this year,” the U.N. chief said in open­ing re­marks to this year’s first gath­er­ing of the Con­fer­ence on Dis­arm­a­ment in Switzer­land.

Ban said, though, that he re­mains con­vinced the Geneva ven­ue could achieve new strides.

“I de­cided to come and meet you. Why?” he said. “Be­cause I am a strong be­liev­er in mul­ti­lat­er­al­ism.

“I want you to know that I have not giv­en up hope for this noble body,” the U.N. head said. “I want to en­cour­age you to live up to the in­ter­na­tion­al com­munity’s ex­pect­a­tions.”

The 65-na­tion con­fer­ence was es­tab­lished as the primary glob­al for­um for ne­go­ti­ation of arms con­trol ac­cords. However, a pro­pos­al for an in­ter­na­tion­al pro­hib­i­tion on new nuc­le­ar-weapon fuel pro­duc­tion has held the con­sensus-driv­en body at a stand­still for more than 15 years.

The Con­fer­ence on Dis­arm­a­ment and its pre­de­cessors have pro­duced some key arms-con­trol agree­ments in the past, in­clud­ing the Non­pro­lif­er­a­tion Treaty, the Bio­lo­gic­al Weapons Con­ven­tion, and the Com­pre­hens­ive Nuc­le­ar Test-Ban Treaty.

Ban re­ferred, as well, to its crit­ic­al role in craft­ing the treaty un­der which Syr­ia is now work­ing to dis­mantle its chem­ic­al ar­sen­al.

“The Chem­ic­al Weapons Con­ven­tion is your leg­acy. The CD brought it to life,” Ban said. “The present­a­tion of the No­bel Peace Prize to the [Or­gan­iz­a­tion for the Pro­hib­i­tion of Chem­ic­al Weapons] is a re­cog­ni­tion of the im­port­ance of dis­arm­a­ment and non­pro­lif­er­a­tion for world peace. I hope you will be in­spired by this.”

States’ del­eg­ates voiced dif­fer­ing ideas on how to pur­sue sub­stant­ive move­ment in the con­fer­ence.

The United States noted that it was open to re-es­tab­lish­ing an in­form­al work­ing group to sup­port dis­cus­sions on mov­ing for­ward, but said it would do so only if an agreed agenda re­mains “elu­sive” over the course of 2014.

Ger­many, though, said the mech­an­ism should be re-launched “without fur­ther delay.”

“A sub­stant­ive sched­ule of activ­it­ies should be agreed upon for 2014,” Ger­man Am­bas­sad­or Mi­chael Biontino said in a pre­pared state­ment. “We be­lieve that the ap­proach de­veloped in the in­form­al work­ing group [last year] provides a val­id basis.”

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
23 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
1 days ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
1 days ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
1 days ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×