Court Decision May Cloud Arctic Drilling Plans

A jack-up rig, an offshore oil and gas drilling platform, undergoes repair works at a shipyard in Singapore on March 17, 2009. Oil prices fell on Asian trade as investors continued to react to OPEC's decision to maintain its current production levels, dealers said. 
National Journal
Ben Geman
Add to Briefcase
Ben Geman
Jan. 22, 2014, 1:20 p.m.

A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that the Interior Department botched an environmental analysis underpinning the 2008 sale of oil-drilling leases in Arctic waters off Alaska’s coast.

The decision, from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, about the sale of leases in the Chukchi Sea arrives as Royal Dutch Shell is weighing resumption of attempts to drill for oil in the region.

Bloomberg unwraps the divided decision here, noting it could delay drilling efforts by companies including Shell and ConocoPhillips that bought leases in the contested 2008 sale.

The court found that Interior wrongly based its environmental analysis on an estimate of 1 billion barrels of recoverable oil from the Chukchi leases, a figure green groups that sued the department called too low.

“[W]e agree with plaintiffs that the agency’s estimate of one billion barrels was chosen arbitrarily, and that this arbitrary decision meant that the agency based its decision on inadequate information about the amount of oil to be produced pursuant to the lease sale,” the decision states.

Shell, which is mulling another stab at drilling off the U.S. coast in the Arctic after a series of mishaps in 2012, told the Associated Press that it’s reviewing the decision.

Environmental groups cheered the ruling and quickly sought to use it as political ammunition in their campaign against Arctic drilling, which they contend is too risky.

“This decision gives the White House a chance to reconsider drilling in the Chukchi,” said National Audubon Society CEO David Yarnold, whose group is among the organizations that brought the case against Interior.

Environmentalists have urged Interior to reject Shell’s efforts to drill its existing leases in the region. They’re also calling on the Obama administration to back off plans to sell new leases in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas off Alaska’s coast in 2016 and 2017.

What We're Following See More »
POTENTIAL CONTEMPT CHARGE
Nadler: Goodlatte Could Subpoena Rosenstein
4 days ago
THE LATEST

"The top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee says Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., is poised to subpoena the Justice Department for former FBI Director James Comey’s memos, which the agency so far has failed to produce. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., warned such a move puts Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in jeopardy of being placed in contempt of Congress and the special counsel investigation of being shut down prematurely."

Source:
NO NEW FUNDING INCLUDED
House Ag Committee Passes Farm Bill
4 days ago
THE DETAILS
"On a party-line vote, the House Agriculture Committee approved a five-year farm bill on Wednesday that tweaks the supports now in place—a promise of certainty, leaders said, during a period of low commodity prices and threats of a trade war with agriculture on the front line." The bill includes no new funding over the last farm bill.
Source:
WOULD ASSURE ANYONE PARDONED BY TRUMP CAN BE PROSECUTED BY STATE
Schneiderman Urges NY Lawmakers to Close “Double Jeopardy Loophole”
4 days ago
THE LATEST
INTRO’d LAST NIGHT
Ryan Tamps Down AUMF Talk
5 days ago
THE LATEST

Referring to the AUMF introduced by Sens. Tim Kaine and Bob Corker Monday evening, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday "he won’t allow any bill to come to the House floor that he thinks would restrict military commanders’ ability to fight." Ryan "defended the legality of U.S. military strikes last week against chemical weapons-related sites in Syria, saying President Trump had the authority to order them under the Constitution’s Article II commander-in-chief powers."

PROSECUTORS WILL GET FIRST LOOK
Judge Denies Requests by Cohen, Trump
6 days ago
THE LATEST

Attorneys for both President Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen lost a court challenge today, as they sought to suppress evidence gathered in a raid of Cohen's office and hotel room. "U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood denied the requests and ruled that prosecutors will get first access to the information, followed by Cohen’s defense team ten days later. Wood noted that she has not yet decided whether she will appoint a special master in the case at all."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login