The United States remains concerned about terror threats tied to the upcoming Olympic games, officials said Friday, but, so far, there isn’t a Sochi-specific plan if evacuation is needed.
“There are no specific evacuations plans for the Olympics, per say, but”¦ our commandant commanders have on the shelves American citizen evacuations plans…just as a general rule,” a senior administration official said.
The Sochi Olympics, in Russia, are scheduled to begin on Feb. 7., but recent reports of possible terror threats — including a report that the “white widow” could be in Sochi — have raised security and safety concerns for athletes, diplomats, and the general public.
And so far, the Russian government has yet to ask for help from the United States, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said, adding that,”we discussed American assistance in anyway we can help the Russians. As of right now the Russians have not requested any specific assistance or technology.”
A senior administration official said that the Russian government also hasn’t put in a “formal request for counter-IED technology” in regard to the Olympics, adding that “no offer made of that technology and assistance.”
Government officials from both countries have discussed counterterrorism measures, but a senior administration official said that predates discussions about the Olympics.
“We have been talking to the Russians about the regional security concerns we have, these are long-standing concerns,” the official said.
But Hagel remained confident that, if needed, the United States will be able to get Americans out of the country, saying U.S. officials “will have appropriate arrangements with the Russians to do that.”
It is unclear if that means U.S. officials — either through the State or Defense Departments — would enter Russia to remove U.S. citizens, or rely on assistance from the Russian government.
The State Department takes the lead on deciding how to evacuate U.S. citizens when necessary, and officials stressed that at this point they are focused on “prudent planning”¦ just in case we’re called.”
The United States is also sending two ships into the Black Sea; they have yet to arrive.
As for security threats, officials say they both expected for terror threats to pop up, and expect more as the Olympics draw nearer.
What We're Following See More »
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."
"Federal regulators on Thursday delayed a vote on a proposal to reshape the television market by freeing consumers from cable box rentals, putting into doubt a plan that has pitted technology companies against cable television providers. ... The proposal will still be considered for a future vote. But Tom Wheeler, chairman of the F.C.C., said commissioners needed more discussions."
"The Supreme Court is taking up a First Amendment clash over the government’s refusal to register offensive trademarks, a case that could affect the Washington Redskins in their legal fight over the team name. The justices agreed Thursday to hear a dispute involving an Asian-American rock band called the Slants, but they did not act on a separate request to hear the higher-profile Redskins case at the same time." Still, any precedent set by the case could have ramifications for the Washington football team.
The Hollywood Reporter takes a look at a little-known intersection of politics and entertainment, in which Trump campaign CEO Steve Bannon is still raking in residuals from Seinfeld. Here's the digest version: When Seinfeld was in its infancy, Ted Turner was in the process of acquiring its production company, Castle Rock, but he was under-capitalized. Bannon's fledgling media company put up the remaining funds, and he agreed to "participation rights" instead of a fee. "Seinfeld has reaped more than $3 billion in its post-network afterlife through syndication deals." Meanwhile, Bannon is "still cashing checks from Seinfeld, and observers say he has made nearly 25 times more off the Castle Rock deal than he had anticipated."