President Obama is planning to unilaterally go after one of the more popular proposals in his State of the Union: raising the minimum wage, if only for a limited number of workers.
The president will sign an executive order that raises the minimum wage for federal contractors from $7.25 an hour to $10.10 an hour, the White House announced on Tuesday morning, just hours before the State of the Union.
But here’s the catch: The executive order will only affect several hundred thousand workers, as opposed to the 21 million who would see their wages increased if Congress passed a full federal increase. The order benefits workers in the performing services and construction, along with workers at military bases who work in dish-washing, food service, and laundry.
Raising the minimum wage is wildly popular in the United States. A recent Pew poll shows that 73 percent of Americans are in favor of raising the federal minimum wage for all workers. And those numbers are strong across party lines. Some 90 percent of Democrats support the hike, along with 71 percent of independents and 53 percent of Republicans. An NBC News poll released on Tuesday also shows that a majority of Americans think the president’s proposal to increase the minimum wage should be a priority this year.
In last year’s State of the Union, the president proposed a bill to increase the minimum wage to $9 an hour. Proposals in Congress, however, have failed to gain any traction, as many Republican lawmakers have argued that a raise in the minimum wage would stifle business and hurt job creation.
In announcing this latest executive action, the White House still promoted a bill that would boost the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour, and said the president will work with Congress to get the bill passed. Whether that can happen is another issue.
Progressives in Congress have been pressuring the president to take action on the minimum wage unilaterally for some time. Back in December, Congressional Progressive Caucus Cochairman Keith Ellison, a Minnesota Democrat, hand-delivered a letter to the president asking him to sign an executive order. It’s unclear, however, if this latest action by the president will totally satisfy the liberal end of his base.
What is clear, though, is that the president is willing to bypass Congress to go after some of his agenda items, at least on small scales. The president on Tuesday night is expected to announce other executive actions that will not require congressional approval.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."