Pentagon Won’t Push Changes in Veterans Retirement in Budget Request

But Defense officials said no final decisions have been made about changes to how military personnel get paid.

Levin: No-fly needs partners.
National Journal
Jordain Carney
Add to Briefcase
Jordain Carney
Jan. 28, 2014, 6:56 a.m.

The De­fense De­part­ment won’t pro­pose any re­tire­ment changes dur­ing its 2015 fisc­al year budget re­quest, De­fense of­fi­cials said Tues­day.

“We won’t pro­pose any­thing on re­tire­ment be­ne­fits in 2015, we are wait­ing for and work­ing with the com­mis­sion,” said Christine Fox, the act­ing deputy De­fense sec­ret­ary at a Sen­ate Armed Ser­vices Com­mit­tee hear­ing, when asked about po­ten­tial changes in the up­com­ing budget re­quest.

The Mil­it­ary Com­pens­a­tion and Re­tire­ment Mod­ern­iz­a­tion Com­mis­sion will turn in a re­port by Feb­ru­ary 2015 that will re­com­mend changes to the mil­it­ary’s com­pens­a­tion and re­tire­ment struc­ture. The re­port was sup­posed to be turned in by May, but the Na­tion­al De­fense Au­thor­iz­a­tion Act passed last year ex­ten­ded the com­mis­sion’s dead­line.

Ad­mir­al James “Sandy” Win­nefeld, vice chair­man of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, agreed with Fox, adding that any changes to re­tire­ment should in­clude a “hol­ist­ic” ap­proach, that he said the com­mis­sion is tak­ing.

A pro­vi­sion in the budget agree­ment that cut mil­it­ary pen­sions for work­ing-age re­tir­ees gained quick back­lash by mem­bers of Con­gress in both parties. It in­cluded a 1 per­cent cut to cost-of-liv­ing ad­just­ments over 10 years, sav­ing the De­fense De­part­ment ap­prox­im­ately $6 bil­lion.

Mem­bers of Con­gress re­stored the COLA fund­ing for med­ic­ally-re­tired mil­it­ary vet­er­ans un­der the om­ni­bus bill, but that is less than a tenth of the total fund­ing.

Fox said that no De­fense De­part­ment of­fi­cials were con­sul­ted on the de­cision to in­clude the COLA cuts as part of the budget agree­ment. And that if the rest of the fund­ing isn’t re­stored, the De­fense De­part­ment would push for cur­rent ser­vice mem­bers and re­tir­ees to be grand­fathered in so they would be ex­empt from the cuts. Any changes made by the com­mis­sion next year would also in­clude grand­fath­er­ing.

Both Re­pub­lic­an and Demo­crat­ic sen­at­ors on the com­mit­tee pre­dicted that the full fund­ing would be re­stored quickly. Chair­man Carl Lev­in said he ex­pects the com­mit­tee “will have the abil­ity to act promptly” on a bill.

A pro­pos­al by Sen­at­ors Mark Pry­or and Kay Hagan has been re­ferred to the Armed Ser­vices Com­mit­tee. It does not in­clude an off­set. The Demo­crat­ic duo’s bill is one of more than a dozen pro­pos­als that have been in­tro­duced to re­store the fund­ing. Many re­com­mend pay­ing for the fund­ing with polit­ic­ally po­lar­iz­ing is­sues that will make the le­gis­la­tion prac­tic­ally im­possible to pass.

Sen. Ro­ger Wick­er warned against delay­ing restor­ing the funds, adding that without quick ac­tion “it holds the po­ten­tial that it will be like se­quest­ra­tion, and go in­to ef­fect des­pite every­one’s prot­est­a­tions to the con­trary.”

And De­fense of­fi­cials hes­it­ated to dic­tate when Con­gress should re­store the fund­ing, with Win­nefeld say­ing “the tim­ing is com­pletely up to the Con­gress,” as long as the 1-per­cent cut “is not taken off the table per­man­ently for the com­mis­sion.”

What We're Following See More »
ON SANCTUARY CITIES
White House Attacks Judge Who Suspended Executive Order
18 minutes ago
THE DETAILS

U.S. District Judge William Orrick Tuesday blocked the Trump administration from enforcing part of an executive order calling for the end of federal funding to so-called sanctuary cities. The decision was followed by a scathing rebuke from the White House, a precedent-breaking activity which with this White House has had no qualms. A White House statement called the decision an "egregious overreach by a single, unelected district judge." The statement was followed by an inaccurate Wednesday morning tweetstorm from Trump, which railed against the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. While Judge Orrick district falls within the jurisdiction of the Ninth Circuit, Orrick himself does not serve on the Ninth Circuit.

MAY BRING CONSERVATIVES ON BOARD, BUT WHAT ABOUT MODERATES?
House GOP Circulates Amendment on Preexisting Conditions
1 hours ago
THE LATEST

"House Republicans are circulating the text of an amendment to their ObamaCare replacement bill that they believe could bring many conservatives on board. According to legislative text of the amendment," drafted by Rep. Tom MacArthur (R-NJ), "the measure would allow states to apply for waivers to repeal one of ObamaCare’s core protections for people with pre-existing conditions. Conservatives argue the provision drives up premiums for healthy people, but Democrats—and many more moderate Republicans—warn it would spark a return to the days when insurance companies could charge sick people exorbitantly high premiums."

AT LEAST 30 TO BE ASSESSED
Trump to Order Review of National Monuments
1 hours ago
THE DETAILS

President Trump on Wednesday "will order a review of national monuments created over the past 20 years with an aim toward rescinding or resizing some of them—part of a broader push to reopen areas to drilling, mining, and other development." Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke told reporters on Tuesday said he'd be reviewing about 30 monuments.

Source:
EMERGING BUDGET FRAMEWORK?
Dems Proposes Obamacare-for-Defense Deal
17 hours ago
THE LATEST

"An emerging government funding deal would see Democrats agree to $15 billion in additional military funding in exchange for the GOP agreeing to fund healthcare subsidies, according to two congressional officials briefed on the talks. Facing a Friday deadline to pass a spending bill and avert a shutdown, Democrats are willing to go halfway to President Trump’s initial request of $30 billion in supplemental military funding."

Source:
WHITE HOUSE BLOCKING DOC REQUEST
Michael Flynn Remains A Russian-Sized Problem
17 hours ago
BREAKING

The Michael Flynn story is not going away for the White House as it tries to refocus its attention. The White House has denied requests from the House Oversight Committee for information and documents regarding payments that the former national security adviser received from Russian state television station RT and Russian firms. House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz and ranking member Elijah Cummings also said that Flynn failed to report these payments on his security clearance application. White House legislative director Marc Short argued that the documents requested are either not in the possession of the White House or contain sensitive information he believes is not applicable to the committee's stated investigation.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login