Extremists are taking advantage of the chaos created by the Syrian civil war — and might leave the war-torn country to carry out attacks in the West.
That’s a big worry for the Intelligence leaders testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Wednesday.
“Syria has become a huge magnet for extremists,” Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said.
The hodgepodge of some 1,600 rebel factions operating in Syria includes groups with extremist ties, including Qaida affiliate Jabhat al-Nusra, which Clapper said does aspire to carry out attacks on the U.S. homeland. More than 7,000 foreign fighters have traveled to Syria for the battle against embattled President Bashar al-Assad. They’re coming from some 50 countries, many of them in Europe and the Middle East.
Extremists, Clapper said, are also getting training and weapons as they join with these groups in Syria. “We’re seeing now the appearance of training complexes in Syria to train people to go back to their countries and conduct more terrorist attacks,” Clapper said. “This is a huge concern to all of us.”
With this “permissive environment” for extremists, National Counterterrorism Center Director Matthew Olsen said, the U.S. is particularly concerned about the “potential for terrorist attacks emanating from Syria to the West.” Olsen told National Journal previously that dealing with Syria would be the primary counterterrorism focus of 2014.
The committee’s top Republican, Saxby Chambliss, wanted to know if the terrorist threat against U.S. interests overseas has increased or diminished — but the answer he got was not simple. While the ideological center of the Qaida movement remains in the FATA, or federally administered tribal areas along the porous Pakistan-Afghanistan border, Clapper said, its “locus for operational planning” is dispersed throughout a dozen countries, including Yemen, Somalia, and now Syria.
In Syria, Clapper said, there’s a possibility the unrest could turn the war-torn country into a “new FATA” — which he said is “very, very worrisome.”
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."