U.S. Envoy Accuses Assad of Slow-Walking Chemical Arms Removal

Workers handle a mock chemical munition at a German disposal site last October. A U.S. envoy on Thursday accused Syria's government of delaying the elimination of its chemical arsenal by "bargaining" for unnecessary security equipment.
National Journal
Diane Barnes
Add to Briefcase
Diane Barnes
Jan. 30, 2014, 9:22 a.m.

The United States on Thursday as­ser­ted that Syr­ia is slow­ing the dis­man­tle­ment of its chem­ic­al ar­sen­al by “bar­gain­ing” for un­needed se­cur­ity gear.

Syr­i­an Pres­id­ent Bashar As­sad’s re­gime has de­man­ded “ar­mored jack­ets for ship­ping con­tain­ers, elec­tron­ic coun­ter­meas­ures and de­tect­ors for im­pro­vised ex­plos­ive devices” to help trans­port its war­fare chem­ic­als to a coastal city for re­mov­al by for­eign ships, said Robert Miku­lak, Wash­ing­ton’s am­bas­sad­or to the Or­gan­iz­a­tion for the Pro­hib­i­tion of Chem­ic­al Weapons in the Hag­ue.

However, such pleas “are without mer­it,” and could threaten an in­ter­na­tion­al ef­fort to elim­in­ate the Syr­i­an gov­ern­ment’s chem­ic­al-arms stock­pile by an end-of-June dead­line, the en­voy told a gath­er­ing of the 41-na­tion OP­CW Ex­ec­ut­ive Coun­cil.

“It is es­sen­tial that the Syr­i­an gov­ern­ment es­tab­lish a plan that will give the in­ter­na­tion­al com­munity con­fid­ence that move­ments will be made reg­u­larly” to send its war­fare chem­ic­als abroad for de­struc­tion, he said in pre­pared re­marks to the OP­CW gov­ern­ing body. The chem­ic­al-weapons watch­dog agency is over­see­ing the dis­arm­a­ment op­er­a­tion, which began in the af­ter­math of an Au­gust nerve-gas strike al­legedly re­spons­ible for more than 1,400 deaths, in­clud­ing wo­men and chil­dren.

Re­mov­al of the weapons has pro­ceeded slower than planned. Less than one-twen­ti­eth of the stocks had left the coun­try as of Wed­nes­day, leav­ing in­ter­na­tion­al au­thor­it­ies far from their ini­tial goal of wrap­ping up re­mov­al by Feb. 5.

For months, West­ern na­tions re­portedly have been res­ist­ing re­quests from Syr­ia’s gov­ern­ment for chem­ic­al-se­cur­ity equip­ment that it might turn against rebels in the coun­try’s bloody civil war. Miku­lak said Syr­ia’s chem­ic­al-war­fare as­sets “have of­ten been moved dur­ing the on­go­ing con­flict without such equip­ment, demon­strat­ing that Syr­ia has been able to en­sure suf­fi­cient pro­tec­tion to date with its cur­rent cap­ab­il­it­ies, and without this ad­di­tion­al ‘wish list’ of equip­ment.”

The U.S. of­fi­cial noted that the dis­arm­a­ment op­er­a­tion’s in­ter­na­tion­al over­seers now agree that Dam­as­cus is ad­equately equipped to safely trans­port the chem­ic­als.

Dam­as­cus, though, last week said it is com­mit­ted to send­ing its chem­ic­al stock­pile over­seas “as soon as pos­sible,” ac­cord­ing to OP­CW Dir­ect­or Gen­er­al Ah­met Üzüm­cü.

A seni­or As­sad en­voy said Dam­as­cus is “mak­ing in­tens­ive ef­forts to pre­pare for, and ac­cel­er­ate, the trans­port­a­tion of chem­ic­als, and that it is cur­rently work­ing on a tent­at­ive sched­ule for com­plet­ing the trans­port­a­tion of chem­ic­als,” Üzüm­cü said in a state­ment to his agency’s gov­ern­ing board. The top OP­CW of­fi­cial provided no fur­ther de­tails.

Not­ing a sep­ar­ate con­cern on Thursday, Miku­lak said As­sad’s gov­ern­ment wants to elim­in­ate sev­er­al sub­ter­ranean and above-ground chem­ic­al-weapon fa­cil­it­ies through meth­ods that fall short of full de­struc­tion.

Steps such as “weld­ing doors shut and con­struct­ing in­teri­or obstacles … are read­ily re­vers­ible with­in days and clearly do not meet the re­quire­ment of ‘phys­ic­ally des­troyed’ as provided for by the [Chem­ic­al Weapons] Con­ven­tion,” he said.

He urged the OP­CW gov­ern­ing board to “re­ject Syr­ia’s pro­pos­al to ‘in­ac­tiv­ate’ its hangar and tun­nel [chem­ic­al-weapon pro­duc­tion fa­cil­it­ies], rather than phys­ic­ally des­troy­ing them as the CWC re­quires.”

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
15 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
16 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
16 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
19 hours ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×