Facing a budget crunch, the Air Force should scale back its number of active forces, while boosting its reserve members, a report released Thursday recommends.
“Greater reliance on a larger Air Reserve Component provides a quick, ‘reversible’ way to generate manpower cost savings,” according to the National Commission on the Structure of the Air Force’s findings.
The report added that recommended changes aren’t “a criticism of the preceding force structure” but a suggestion on how to comply with budget caps imposed by Congress.
Reserve forces are less expensive than active forces, and by reducing spending in military personnel, the report notes the Air Force could use the funds to offset “cuts to readiness, modernization, and recapitalization.”
The commission was created by Congress as part of the 2013 National Defense Authorization Act after members pushed back against a Pentagon plan to scale back its Air Guard.
And the Air Force isn’t alone in trying to find ways to save money. Pentagon officials are trying to decide where to cut more than $40 billion from its 2015 budget request. Officials said last year that they would request $542 billion for the 2015 fiscal year, but base spending for the Defense Department under the budget agreement is $498 billion.
And one potential — but serious — roadblock to any cuts is Congress. Members are working to block the Air Force from retiring the A-10 ground-attack aircraft to help free up spending for newer planes. And last year Congress rejected the Defense Department’s request to reduce the number of bases it does not need.
What We're Following See More »
"A new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll found that 34% of registered voters think the three presidential debates would be extremely or quite important in helping them decide whom to support for president. About 11% of voters are considered 'debate persuadables'—that is, they think the debates are important and are either third-party voters or only loosely committed to either major-party candidate."
Will he or won't he? That's the question surrounding Donald Trump and his on-again, off-again threats to bring onetime Bill Clinton paramour Gennifer Flowers to the debate as his guest. An assistant to flowers initially said she'd be there, but Trump campaign chief Kellyanne Conway "said on ABC’s 'This Week' that the Trump campaign had not invited Flowers to the debate, but she didn’t rule out the possibility of Flowers being in the audience."
NBC's Lester Holt hasn't hosted the "Nightly News" since Tuesday, as he's prepped for moderating the first presidential debate tonight—and the first of his career. He's called on a host of NBC talent to help him, namely NBC News and MSNBC chairman Andy Lack; NBC News president Deborah Turness; the news division's senior vice president of editorial, Janelle Rodriguez; "Nightly News" producer Sam Singal, "Meet the Press" host Chuck Todd, senior political editor Mark Murray and political editor Carrie Dann. But during the debate itself, the only person in Holt's earpiece will be longtime debate producer Marty Slutsky.
"The House passed legislation late Thursday that would prohibit the federal government from making any cash payments to Iran, in protest of President Obama's recently discovered decision to pay Iran $1.7 billion in cash in January. And while the White House has said Obama would veto the bill, 16 Democrats joined with Republicans to pass the measure, 254-163."
In contrast to Hillary Clinton's meticulous debate practice sessions, Donald Trump "is largely shunning traditional debate preparations, but has been watching video of…Clinton’s best and worst debate moments, looking for her vulnerabilities.” Trump “has paid only cursory attention to briefing materials. He has refused to use lecterns in mock debate sessions despite the urging of his advisers. He prefers spitballing ideas with his team rather than honing them into crisp, two-minute answers.”