U.S. schools and libraries will get a $2 billion dollar infusion from the Federal Communications Commission for high-speed Internet access.
The FCC announced plans Monday to double its investment in schools’ broadband networks over the next two years through the agency’s E-Rate program.
The FCC’s move is one leg of the Obama administration’s plan to connect 99 percent of U.S. schools to high-speed Internet within the next five years, reaffirmed by the president in his State of the Union address.
“In the Internet age, every student in America should have access to state-of-the-art educational tools, which are increasingly interactive, individualized, and bandwidth-intensive,” FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said in a statement.
The additional money will come from a reorganization of E-Rate’s funds, not from an increase in rates for wireless and phone customers.
“By applying business-like management practices to E-Rate, we can take steps this year that will make existing funds go farther to significantly increase our investment in high-speed broadband connectivity for schools and libraries for the benefit of our students and teachers,” Wheeler said.
The investment is one part of comprehensive E-Rate reform that began last year and has been accelerated by the new chairman. The E-Rate program was established in 1996 as part of the Universal Service Fund and has connected most schools and libraries with basic Internet access.
The president Tuesday is expected to announce additional funding through private partnerships with companies including Apple, Microsoft, Sprint, and Verizon.
What We're Following See More »
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.
"President-elect Donald Trump railed against the Trans-Pacific Partnership on his way to winning the White House and has vowed immediately to withdraw the U.S. from the 12-nation accord. Several of his cabinet picks and other early nominees to top posts, however, have endorsed or spoken favorably about the trade pact, including Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad, announced Wednesday as Mr. Trump’s pick for ambassador to China, and retired Marine Gen. James Mattis, Mr. Trump’s pick to head the Department of Defense."