The Navy is investigating alleged cheating among staff members at its nuclear training school in Charleston, S.C., officials said Tuesday.
The alleged cheating was on a written proficiency exam at one of the Navy’s nuclear-training commands, said Adm. Jonathan Greenert, chief of naval operations. The written exam is one several tests a staff member must take to qualify, including passing an oral academic board and a practical exam.
“To say that I’m disappointed would be an understatement,” Greenert said, adding that the other elements required to qualify “appear to be valid” based on current information.
All personnel implicated in the cheating have been temporarily removed, said Adm. John Richardson, the director of the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program, adding that all personnel are being retested.
Officials were alerted Monday of the alleged cheating. In addition to the investigation that is underway, Richardson said that a five-person team “will review past assessments to make sure we did not have a broader problem with this command.”
It’s unclear how many are currently implicated in the alleged cheating, and officials were hesitant to pin down a number. Richardson estimated that in total it involved less than 1 percent of the 16,000 involved in the Navy’s nuclear program.
He added that “less than 20” is a “ballpark figure,” but officials later categorized the number of those potentially involved could be between 16 and 160.
Staff members went through the qualification as students, and officials estimated that it was likely their third time to qualify.
“We see no evidence of compromises toward the students, at this point,” Richardson said.
The Navy is the second branch of the military to have issues with cheating in recent months. Ninety-two members of an Air Force nuclear-missile crew at a base in Montana are being tied to a growing cheating scandal, Air Force officials said last week.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.