Senators Reaffirm Iran Fears, Amid Diminishing Calls for New Sanctions

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
Feb. 5, 2014, 6:47 a.m.

U.S. sen­at­ors re­stated fears over the strategy for Ir­an talks, as a con­gres­sion­al sanc­tions push gradu­ally has lost mo­mentum, the Wall Street Journ­al re­ports.

Sen­ate For­eign Re­la­tions Com­mit­tee mem­bers on Tues­day said risks would be sig­ni­fic­ant if up­com­ing mul­ti­lat­er­al talks do not re­solve sus­pi­cions that Ir­an is nur­tur­ing a lat­ent nuc­le­ar-arms ca­pa­city through its os­tens­ibly peace­ful atom­ic-en­ergy activ­it­ies.

High-level staffers said the Sen­ate’s lead­er­ship has faced few­er calls in the last sev­er­al weeks to per­mit floor con­sid­er­a­tion of pos­sible new sanc­tions against Ir­an. Mean­while, Tehran is set this month to be­gin ne­go­ti­ations with the five per­man­ent U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil mem­ber na­tions and Ger­many on a po­ten­tial long-term nuc­le­ar deal.

In an ef­fort to spur the talks along, the “P-5+1” na­tions agreed in Novem­ber to re­lax cer­tain eco­nom­ic re­stric­tions against the Middle East­ern na­tion in re­turn for lim­its on some of its nuc­le­ar ef­forts.

Pan­el Chair­man Robert Men­en­dez (D-N.J.), a pro­ponent of ad­di­tion­al eco­nom­ic steps, said he is “con­vinced that we should only re­lieve pres­sure on Ir­an in re­turn for veri­fi­able con­ces­sions that will fun­da­ment­ally dis­mantle Ir­an’s nuc­le­ar pro­gram.”

The Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion’s seni­or Ir­an ne­go­ti­at­or, though, con­tin­ued to in­sist that fresh sanc­tions could de­rail the ne­go­ti­ations.

“It is cru­cial we give dip­lomacy a chance to suc­ceed,” Un­der Sec­ret­ary of State Wendy Sher­man said.

The seni­or dip­lo­mat ad­ded that a pos­sible Rus­si­an-Ir­a­ni­an pet­ro­leum barter plan does not ap­pear likely to move for­ward for the time be­ing, Re­u­ters re­por­ted. The ar­range­ment might have provided $1.5 bil­lion in new monthly in­come to Ir­an.

“We are very crys­tal clear that any­thing like such an agree­ment between Rus­sia and Ir­an might have po­ten­tial sanc­tion­able ac­tion and would likely cre­ate tre­mend­ous risk with­in the P-5+1, which would make com­ing to a com­pre­hens­ive agree­ment all the more dif­fi­cult if not im­possible,” Sher­man told the com­mit­tee.

At the same time, Obama of­fi­cials said they are routinely talk­ing with Turk­ish coun­ter­parts about a sep­ar­ate barter ar­range­ment that has al­lowed Ir­an ac­cess to as much as $100 bil­lion in pet­ro­leum rev­en­ues by cir­cum­vent­ing eco­nom­ic pen­al­ties already in force, the Journ­al re­por­ted.

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
20 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
21 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
1 days ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×