Obama Makes Work’s Defense Nomination Official

He’ll appear before a Senate committee next week for his confirmation hearing.

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, citing the recent Pay Our Military Act, will recall to work hundreds of thousands of furloughed civilian employees of the Department of Defense next week.
National Journal
Jordain Carney
Add to Briefcase
Jordain Carney
Feb. 7, 2014, 11:58 a.m.

Robert Work will be nom­in­ated to serve in the Pentagon’s No. 2 spot, the White House an­nounced Fri­day.

The de­cision is by no means a sur­prise. News of the pending nom­in­a­tion broke a few days ago, and the Sen­ate Armed Ser­vice Com­mit­tee jumped the gun this morn­ing, an­noun­cing it would hold his con­firm­a­tion hear­ing next week.

De­fense Sec­ret­ary Chuck Hagel thanked the com­mit­tee for its “prompt ac­tion.”

Work, who is cur­rently the CEO at the Cen­ter for a New Amer­ic­an Se­cur­ity, pre­vi­ously served as the un­der sec­ret­ary for the Navy, with Hagel call­ing him an “ad­mired and tested lead­er” and a “na­tion­ally re­cog­nized stra­tegic thinker.”

Work, if con­firmed, will re­place Act­ing Deputy Sec­ret­ary Christine Fox, who stepped in­to the role in Decem­ber, be­com­ing the Pentagon’s highest-rank­ing wo­man.

The former Navy of­fi­cial re­turns to the Pentagon as it faces a chal­len­ging fisc­al en­vir­on­ment, and draws down its pres­ence in Afgh­anistan.

Hagel sidestepped ques­tions about a draw­down timeline, spe­cif­ic U.S. troop levels, or when he be­lieves a bi­lat­er­al se­cur­ity agree­ment would be signed with Afghan Pres­id­ent Ham­id Kar­zai, but he did say that Pentagon lead­ers con­tin­ue to work with al­lies to plan for a “post-2014 mis­sion.”

Hagel also ad­dressed the de­part­ment’s on­go­ing eth­ics scan­dals, not­ing that he plans to ap­point a seni­or-level eth­ics of­ficer.

“I don’t think there is one simple an­swer to the is­sue of eth­ics, val­ues, a lapse in some of those areas that we do know about,” Hagel said. “That’s why we’re tak­ing a hard look at this. I think we need to find out: Is there a deep, wide prob­lem? If there is, then what’s the scope of that prob­lem. How did this oc­cur.”

What We're Following See More »
POTENTIAL CONTEMPT CHARGE
Nadler: Goodlatte Could Subpoena Rosenstein
2 days ago
THE LATEST

"The top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee says Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., is poised to subpoena the Justice Department for former FBI Director James Comey’s memos, which the agency so far has failed to produce. Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., warned such a move puts Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein in jeopardy of being placed in contempt of Congress and the special counsel investigation of being shut down prematurely."

Source:
NO NEW FUNDING INCLUDED
House Ag Committee Passes Farm Bill
2 days ago
THE DETAILS
"On a party-line vote, the House Agriculture Committee approved a five-year farm bill on Wednesday that tweaks the supports now in place—a promise of certainty, leaders said, during a period of low commodity prices and threats of a trade war with agriculture on the front line." The bill includes no new funding over the last farm bill.
Source:
WOULD ASSURE ANYONE PARDONED BY TRUMP CAN BE PROSECUTED BY STATE
Schneiderman Urges NY Lawmakers to Close “Double Jeopardy Loophole”
2 days ago
THE LATEST
INTRO’d LAST NIGHT
Ryan Tamps Down AUMF Talk
3 days ago
THE LATEST

Referring to the AUMF introduced by Sens. Tim Kaine and Bob Corker Monday evening, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Tuesday "he won’t allow any bill to come to the House floor that he thinks would restrict military commanders’ ability to fight." Ryan "defended the legality of U.S. military strikes last week against chemical weapons-related sites in Syria, saying President Trump had the authority to order them under the Constitution’s Article II commander-in-chief powers."

PROSECUTORS WILL GET FIRST LOOK
Judge Denies Requests by Cohen, Trump
4 days ago
THE LATEST

Attorneys for both President Trump and his attorney Michael Cohen lost a court challenge today, as they sought to suppress evidence gathered in a raid of Cohen's office and hotel room. "U.S. District Court Judge Kimba Wood denied the requests and ruled that prosecutors will get first access to the information, followed by Cohen’s defense team ten days later. Wood noted that she has not yet decided whether she will appoint a special master in the case at all."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login