White House Delays Obamacare Mandate Again

New rules soften the law’s employer mandate, which has already been delayed by a year.

National Journal
Sam Baker
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Sam Baker
Feb. 10, 2014, 11:16 a.m.

The Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion an­nounced fur­ther delays Monday in Obama­care’s em­ploy­er man­date — which has already been pushed back a full year.

Ad­min­is­tra­tion of­fi­cials said the latest delays are de­signed to give busi­nesses more flex­ib­il­ity and a longer trans­ition peri­od to be­gin of­fer­ing health in­sur­ance to their work­ers.

The Af­ford­able Care Act re­quires large em­ploy­ers — those with more than 50 full-time em­ploy­ees — to either provide health in­sur­ance to their work­ers or pay a pen­alty. The man­date was sched­uled to take ef­fect this year, but the Treas­ury De­part­ment pre­vi­ously delayed the dead­line un­til 2015.

Now it’s delay­ing the cov­er­age re­quire­ment even fur­ther.

Busi­nesses with 50 to 99 full-time work­ers — people work­ing at least 30 hours per week — don’t have to com­ply with the man­date un­til 2016, un­der fi­nal reg­u­la­tions the Treas­ury De­part­ment re­leased Monday.

Lar­ger em­ploy­ers aren’t get­ting an out­right delay but will have more time to fully com­ply with the man­date. Em­ploy­ers with more than 100 full-time work­ers must of­fer cov­er­age to 70 per­cent of their full-time em­ploy­ees this year, and 95 per­cent after that, to avoid pay­ing a pen­alty.

The ad­min­is­tra­tion noted that only about 4 per­cent of em­ploy­ers are eli­gible for one of the breaks an­nounced Monday, al­though those busi­nesses em­ploy about 72 per­cent of all private-sec­tor work­ers.

The vast ma­jor­ity of large em­ploy­ers already provide health be­ne­fits to their full-time work­ers. Monday’s changes are un­likely to make a sig­ni­fic­ant dif­fer­ence in how many people the Af­ford­able Care Act ul­ti­mately cov­ers.

Monday’s reg­u­la­tions also cla­ri­fy that vo­lun­teers — for ex­ample, vo­lun­teer fire­fight­ers — aren’t coun­ted as full-time em­ploy­ees, and they give em­ploy­ers more flex­ib­il­ity when count­ing work­ers’ hours. Those steps were de­signed to “kind of mit­ig­ate the way the 30-hour defin­i­tion works,” a Treas­ury of­fi­cial said.

Of­fi­cials said busi­nesses will have to at­test that they’re not cut­ting em­ploy­ees just to qual­i­fy for the ad­di­tion­al delay but noted that busi­nesses are still free to cut their work­forces for eco­nom­ic reas­ons.

Asked where Treas­ury found the leg­al au­thor­ity to phase in the em­ploy­er man­date, of­fi­cials said the de­part­ment has “broad au­thor­ity” to im­ple­ment tax laws in a way that will ease the ad­min­is­tra­tion of those laws.

“We think a phase-in ap­proach really is a way to ad­min­is­ter the law bet­ter,” a seni­or Treas­ury of­fi­cial said.

What We're Following See More »
“HORRIBLE” AND “PAINFUL”
Trump Addresses Threats On Jewish Community Centers
1 hours ago
THE DETAILS
COULD COME TUESDAY
Trump Set To Issue New Travel Ban
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

Donald Trump is set to issue a new and more focused executive order clarifying the scope of his travel ban, hoping that the order will survive legal challenges. The new order would focus on the same seven countries, "but would only bar entry to those without a visa and who have never entered the United States before. Unlike the original order, people from those countries who already have permanent U.S. residency (green cards) or visas would not face any restrictions." Some lawyers believe the government will now have much stronger standing, though lawyers who challenged the initial order see the same core problems with the forthcoming ban.

Source:
KELLOGG WILL RETURN TO NSC COS
Trump Taps Lt. Gen. McMaster as NSC Head
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Donald Trump announced Monday that Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster will serve as his next national security adviser, filling the void left last week by the sudden dismissal of Michael Flynn. ... Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg, who had been serving as the acting national security adviser since Flynn's exit, will return to his role as chief of staff of the National Security Council." The pick was widely praised on both sides of the aisle.

Source:
PLANS TO CURB ITS POWER
Pruitt Confirmed As EPA Head
3 days ago
BREAKING
WOULD HAVE REPLACED FLYNN
Harward Turns Down NSC Job
4 days ago
THE LATEST

"Ret. Vice Adm. Bob Harward turned down President Donald Trump's offer to be national security adviser Thursday, depriving the administration of a top candidate for a critical foreign policy post days after Trump fired Michael Flynn." Among the potential reasons: his family, his lack of assurances that he could build his own team, and that "the White House seems so chaotic."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login