GOP Goes After Obama With New Benghazi Report

The report aligns closely with party findings from last year.

McKeon: One of the last hawks.
National Journal
Jordain Carney
Add to Briefcase
Jordain Carney
Feb. 11, 2014, 6:49 a.m.

A House sub­com­mit­tee re­port re­leased Tues­day places the blame over the re­sponse to the Benghazi ter­ror­ist at­tack squarely on the ad­min­is­tra­tion’s shoulders.

The re­port from the House Armed Ser­vices Sub­com­mit­tee on Over­sight and In­vest­ig­a­tions is backed by Re­pub­lic­an mem­bers of the sub­com­mit­tee, as well as Reps. Buck McK­eon, Mac Thorn­berry, and Martha Roby. And though at mul­tiple points the re­port singles out the White House and the State De­part­ment as be­ing at fault, it largely clears the De­fense De­part­ment from any blame.

The re­port isn’t the first time mem­bers of Con­gress have ques­tioned the State De­part­ment’s ac­tions in the wake of the Benghazi at­tack. A Janu­ary re­port from the Sen­ate In­tel­li­gence Com­mit­tee found that the State De­part­ment didn’t in­crease se­cur­ity des­pite warn­ings.

Tues­day’s re­port con­tains a hand­ful of key find­ings:

  • The White House either ig­nored or didn’t un­der­stand the shift­ing se­cur­ity threat in Libya, and threats to U.S. in­terests in the coun­try.

  • U.S. per­son­nel in Benghazi were vul­ner­able be­cause the ad­min­is­tra­tion didn’t call for an in­crease in mil­it­ary pres­ence, there wasn’t a spe­cif­ic “im­min­ent” threat in the coun­try, and the State De­part­ment pressed for few­er De­fense De­part­ment se­cur­ity of­fi­cials in Libya.

  • The De­fense De­part­ment be­lieved from the be­gin­ning that the Sept. 11, 2012 in­cid­ent was a ter­ror­ist at­tack.

  • The mil­it­ary did not fully pre­pare for a longer op­er­a­tion in Libya be­cause of un­cer­tainty over the spe­cif­ics of the Benghazi at­tack. And the mil­it­ary’s im­me­di­ate re­sponse to the at­tack was scaled back be­cause of a lack of geo­graph­ic read­i­ness with­in U.S. forces.

  • Mil­it­ary of­fi­cials from Tripoli who tried to aid Benghazi did not re­ceive a “stand down” or­der, but roles and re­spons­ib­il­it­ies for in­di­vidu­als were un­clear.

  • The De­fense De­part­ment is cor­rect­ing faults high­lighted by the Benghazi at­tack, des­pite the de­part­ment’s budget crunch.

A duo of Demo­crat­ic com­mit­tee mem­bers said the re­port should bring “this at­tempt to man­u­fac­ture a scan­dal to an end,” re­fer­ring to what they con­sider a push by some Re­pub­lic­ans to politi­cize the at­tacks.

“While Re­pub­lic­ans in both the House and Sen­ate have con­tin­ued to at­tack the mo­tiv­a­tions and ac­tions of those who serve in our coun­try’s na­tion­al se­cur­ity ap­par­at­us, this Re­pub­lic­an pre­pared re­port clearly states that the De­part­ment of De­fense re­spon­ded ap­pro­pri­ately, quickly, to the best of its abil­ity at that time, and that no ‘stand down’ or­der was ever is­sued. All of these con­clu­sions are counter to as­ser­tions and ac­cus­a­tions leveled by a num­ber of Re­pub­lic­ans,” said Demo­crat­ic Reps. Adam Smith and Niki Tson­gas.

What We're Following See More »
THE PLAN ALL ALONG?
Manchin Drops Objections, Clearing Way for Spending Deal
16 hours ago
THE LATEST

"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."

Source:
UNCLEAR WHAT CAUSED CHANGE OF HEART
Giuliani Out of Running For State
18 hours ago
BREAKING

Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.

Source:
ALSO VICE-CHAIR OF TRUMP’S TRANSITION TEAM
Trump Taps Rep. McMorris Rodgers for Interior Secretary
23 hours ago
BREAKING
SHUTDOWN LOOMING
House Approves Spending Bill
1 days ago
BREAKING

The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.

HEADS TO OBAMA
Senate Approves Defense Bill
1 days ago
THE LATEST

The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login