"The state House voted not to proceed with the congressional primary March 15 and instead hold it June 7. … [I]n a major change, the House proposal also said no runoff elections would be held in March or June. Currently, if no candidate gets 40 percent of the vote, a second primary is held. ... In another twist, candidates who won a March 15 primary then could file to run for a congressional seat June 7. If they won in both primaries, they would have to withdraw from one, within a week after the June 7 results were certified. … The House voted 71-32, mostly along party lines, to make the changes. The Senate is expected to approve them Friday.”
Earlier Thursday, the state Senate approved a redrawn congressional map. The House is expected vote on it Friday. (Raleigh News & Observer)
Meanwhile, the "Supreme Court remained silent Friday as a deadline approached for a lower court order requiring North Carolina to redraw the boundaries of two Congressional districts for this year's elections, including the primary planned for March 15." (Politico)
DOWN-BALLOT EFFECTS. If the new map is adopted, some Republicans speculate that Rep. George Holding (R-13) would run in Rep. Renee Ellmers's (R-02) district, setting up an incumbent vs. incumbent primary. Ellmers plans to run in the 2nd District regardless, her adviser said.
The new lines also draw out most of Ellmers's primary challengers, including former Chatham County GOP Chair Jim Duncan (R). Duncan's spokesman said he's still planning to run against Ellmers until a decision is made.
"Meanwhile, the new 13th District, one GOP operative in the state said, may look appealing to state Sen. Andrew Brock (R), whose legislative district overlaps with the proposed new lines." (Roll Call)
What We're Following See More »
President Trump said that "unless the miracle of all miracles happens," that missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi is dead. Trump "expressed confidence in intelligence reports from multiple sources that strongly suggest a high-level Saudi role in Mr. Khashoggi’s assassination. [He] stopped short of saying the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, was responsible for Mr. Khashoggi’s death."
"The U.S. Justice Department has opened an investigation of child sexual abuse inside the Roman Catholic Church in Pennsylvania, using subpoenas to demand confidential files and testimony from church leaders, according to two people familiar with the probe. The subpoenas, served last week, follow a scathing state grand jury report over the summer that found that 301 'predator priests' in Pennsylvania had molested more than 1,000 children over seven decades and that church leaders had covered up for the offenders."