A group of lawmakers from states that host strategic nuclear missiles are concerned the Pentagon could be studying closing down some of the weapon silos.
In the last day, multiple letters from both chambers of Congress have been sent to U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel, demanding to know whether his department is violating recent federal law by conducting environmental studies related to the country’s force of underground-based intercontinental ballistic missiles.
“We write to make very clear our strenuous opposition to any attempt by the Department of Defense to circumvent existing law to proceed with an Environmental Impact Study or an Environmental Assessment on the elimination of Minuteman 3 silos,” reads one bipartisan letter from Senators Jon Tester (D-Mont.), John Hoeven (R-N.D.), Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) and John Walsh (D-Mont.).
Congress in its omnibus fiscal 2014 spending law has forbidden the Pentagon from using appropriated funds “to conduct any environmental impact analysis related to Minuteman 3 silos that contain a missile.”
“If the Defense Department is in fact pursuing such a course, we demand the legal justification for how it could so directly contradict the letter of the law and the repeatedly stated will of Congress,” the four senators said.
The Pentagon did not return requests for comment by press time on whether it was pursuing environmental studies of shutting down the silos. It is not clear exactly what made the lawmakers believe the assessments were taking place, though Capitol Hill aides on Thursday told the Great Falls Tribune that House Armed Services Committee staff had heard the Air Force was beginning the studies.
The U.S. Air Force presently deploys roughly 450 nuclear-tipped strategic missiles in silos split evenly among three states: Montana, North Dakota and Wyoming. Though the senators and representatives from those states are territorial of the land-based missile mission, a draw-down to no more than 420 of the weapons is in the offing; it is only a matter of when.
The New START accord requires both the United States and Russia by 2018 to each cap their arsenals of strategic delivery vehicles — encompassing heavy bombers, submarine-launched ballistic missiles, and silo-based missiles — at 700 apiece, with an additional 100 systems allowed in reserve by each side.
The Pentagon has yet to start implementing substantial reductions to its strategic delivery force. However, when they begin, they are expected to happen first in the Ohio-class submarine fleet, followed by the elimination of some nuclear-capable aircraft and ending with the ground-based missiles.
“We strongly believe maintaining our current ICBM capability is vital to promoting peace and keeping our country and allies safe from current and emerging threats,” reads a letter sent to the Pentagon on Thursday by Representatives Steve Daines (R-Mont.), Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.), Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.), Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) and Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.). “We are also concerned that beginning an ICBM environmental assessment could significantly damage the morale of airmen working on this crucial mission.”
The enlisted crews and officers charged with operating the Air Force’s Minuteman 3 arsenal in recent months have come under much public scrutiny, amid a move to sideline more than 90 launch control officers who were implicated in a probe into widespread-cheating on routine missile-firing certification exams. There were also recent revelations about an investigation into drug possession by some officers at Global Strike Command, which oversees missile and nuclear bomber operations.
What We're Following See More »
Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump 49%-44% in a new CNN/ORC poll out Monday afternoon. But it's Gary Johnson's performance, or lack thereof, that's the real story. Johnson, who had cleared 10% in some surveys earlier this fall, as he made a bid to qualify for the debates, is down to 3% support. He must hit 5% nationwide for the Libertarian Party to qualify for some federal matching funds in future elections.
While the organization praised him for being "perhaps the most pro-LGBT presidential nominee in the history of the Republican Party," the Log Cabin Republicans refused to endorse Donald Trump for president. The organization, which is the largest gay organization in the United States, said that Trump failed to earn its endorsement because he surrounded himself with anti-LGBTQ people "and committed himself to supporting legislation such as the so-called 'First Amendment Defense Act' that Log Cabin Republicans opposes."
Energy Secretary Ernesto Moniz is warning Congress "that Congress and businesses need to act with more urgency to work out a medley of challenges in promoting nuclear power." A number of nuclear plants are currently on track to close around 2030, unless their licenses are extended from 60 years to 80 years, something that could jeopardize the success of the Clean Power Plan. Moniz called on Congress to pass legislation creating interim storage facilities for used nuclear power.
Donald Trump has said he received a $17 million insurance payment in 2005 following Hurricane Wilma, which he claimed did severe damage to his private club in Florida. However, an Associated Press investigation could not find any evidence of the large-scale damage that Trump has mentioned. Additionally, Trump claimed that he transferred some of the $17 million to his personal account thanks to a "very good insurance policy."