A senior U.N. official this week suggested that Syria’s government is not entirely to blame for delays in an operation to destroy its chemical weapons.
The Middle Eastern nation’s security situation “impacts nearly every dimension” of an operation to remove and eliminate hundreds of tons of warfare chemicals from its violence-plagued territory, according to Angela Kane, U.N. high representative for disarmament affairs.
She spoke shortly before international authorities on Friday reportedly proposed giving President Bashar Assad’s regime until the end of next month to finish shipping out the stocks, a process it was earlier scheduled to complete more than two weeks ago. That proposal and an alternative timeline from Damascus appeared to leave the disarmament mission’s overseers with little hope of meeting their goal of fully destroying the Syrian chemical arsenal by the end of June.
Kane, though, noted that Damascus “completed initial actions before the established deadlines” for the operation, such as eliminating its chemical-arms preparation gear and offering data on its chemical-weapons inventory.
Still, the U.N. official stressed that the Syrian government ultimately remains “exclusively” responsible for making sure its chemical weapons are completely destroyed. Assad’s government admitted holding the stockpile and pledged to give it up last year, after a large-scale nerve gas release killed hundreds of people in a Damascus suburb controlled by its opponents.
The United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons have done “everything possible to facilitate the elimination of Syria’s chemical weapons,” she asserted in remarks prepared for delivery in New York earlier this week.
Kane provided little detail on specific security challenges faced by disarmament personnel. However, she said the obstacles partially mirror dangers faced by international investigators who last year confirmed at least five chemical strikes in the country.
Reaching one location could require those inspectors to negotiate with “up to 40 different groups, moving from checkpoint to checkpoint,” she said.
The U.N. official added that Assad’s government “does not control [significant parts] of its territory, including locations where chemical weapons were allegedly used or where chemical weapons facilities are located.”
Damascus has denied using its chemical arms in combat, and has placed blame for chemical strikes on rebel forces.
- 1 Big Decisions Loom for Durbin, Murray, Leahy
- 2 Great Democratic Hopes Energize Quiet Faithful in Missouri
- 3 Will Congress Try to Rein in Obamacare Premiums?
- 4 The Late-Breaking Democratic House Targets
- 5 Smart Ideas: Ken Bone Revealed a Serious Policy Divide, and Elizabeth Warren Seeks a Co-Presidency
What We're Following See More »
Along party lines, the Federal Communications Commission on Thursday voted to tighten privacy standards for Internet service providers. "The regulations will require providers to receive explicit customer consent before using an individual’s web browsing or app usage history for marketing purposes. The broadband industry fought to keep that obligation out of the rules."
President Obama commuted the sentences of another 98 drug offenders on Thursday. Most of the convicts were charged with conspiracy to distribute drugs or possession with intent to distribute. Many of the sentences were commuted to expire next year, but some will run longer. Others are required to enroll in residential drug treatment as a condition of their release.
The Department of Justice announced today it's charged "61 individuals and entities for their alleged involvement in a transnational criminal organization that has victimized tens of thousands of persons in the United States through fraudulent schemes that have resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in losses. In connection with the scheme, 20 individuals were arrested today in the United States and 32 individuals and five call centers in India were charged for their alleged involvement. An additional U.S.-based defendant is currently in the custody of immigration authorities."
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) said that "there was “precedent” for a Supreme Court with fewer than nine justices—appearing to suggest that the blockade on nominee Merrick Garland could last past the election." Speaking to reporters in Colorado, Cruz said: "I would note, just recently, that Justice Breyer observed that the vacancy is not impacting the ability of the court to do its job. That’s a debate that we are going to have.”