Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy believes an upcoming proposal to set carbon-emissions standards for the nation’s existing power plants doesn’t have to become the stuff of familiar battles over climate change.
“Give it a chance,” she said Tuesday of the draft regulation slated to surface in June, urging critics not to bash the rules “out of the gate.”
McCarthy, speaking at a White House-hosted environmental event, sought to lay the messaging groundwork for what promises to be EPA’s broadest second-term climate initiative. Power plants generate a third of U.S. carbon emissions.
A separate proposal released last year to set standards for newly constructed coal-fired power plants drew swift and fierce opposition from coal industry and conservative groups.
But McCarthy touted the agency’s outreach to power companies and other stakeholders about the rule for the nation’s existing fleet of plants.
“I do not see utilities going out at this point, or states, saying ‘it can’t be done, it can’t be done, it can’t be done,’ ” McCarthy said.
“I have great faith that this type of outreach, this honest engagement, will get us a proposal that’s better than anybody expected,” she said at the event with religious and community groups on climate change.
McCarthy vowed to give states plenty of leeway to craft plans to meet the standards for existing plants.
“We are going to put out a proposal that is both going to get significant [emissions] reductions but be absolutely flexible, recognizing that states are all in very different places here, and we need to make this work,” she said.
“We need to make this an opportunity for every state to advance their own economies the way they want to advance them, but overall we’ve got to start driving that carbon pollution down,” McCarthy added.
While McCarthy is talking détente, the upcoming rules are almost certain to be challenged in court.
In 2012, a federal Appeals Court upheld EPA’s climate authority and its first wave of requirements, although a permitting program for big industrial pollution sources is now before the Supreme Court.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."