The principal U.S. system for countering strategic missile attacks has been hamstrung by “bad engineering,” a senior Pentagon official says.
Speaking on Tuesday, Undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics Frank Kendall said performance problems with the Ground-based Midcourse Defense system are the result of moving too quickly to field the long-range interceptor technology before comprehensive and rigorous testing had been completed, Reuters reported.
“As we go back and understand the failures we’re having and why we’re having them, we’re seeing a lot of bad engineering, frankly,” he said of the Raytheon-built Ground Based Interceptor. “It’s because there was a rush … to get something out.”
The Ground Based Interceptor is the central component of the missile defense architecture for protecting the 50 states. There are currently 30 of the interceptors fielded in Alaska and California as a hedge against any limited ballistic-missile attacks by foreign nations. The Pentagon is planning on fielding an additional 14 interceptors in Alaska in 2017 as a response to North Korea’s continuing missile development.
However, the interceptor, which is equipped with a kinetic kill vehicle, has not had a successful test-intercept since December 2008. The technology’s rate of hitting dummy missiles is just 50 percent.
Previewing the Pentagon’s fiscal 2015 budget proposal at an industry conference in Washington, Kendall said, “We are going to be taking an initiative in the budget to address some of those problems,” DOD Buzz reported.
“Just patching the things we already have is probably not going to be adequate,” the Pentagon’s chief weapons buyer said.
What We're Following See More »
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."
"Federal regulators on Thursday delayed a vote on a proposal to reshape the television market by freeing consumers from cable box rentals, putting into doubt a plan that has pitted technology companies against cable television providers. ... The proposal will still be considered for a future vote. But Tom Wheeler, chairman of the F.C.C., said commissioners needed more discussions."
"The Supreme Court is taking up a First Amendment clash over the government’s refusal to register offensive trademarks, a case that could affect the Washington Redskins in their legal fight over the team name. The justices agreed Thursday to hear a dispute involving an Asian-American rock band called the Slants, but they did not act on a separate request to hear the higher-profile Redskins case at the same time." Still, any precedent set by the case could have ramifications for the Washington football team.
The Hollywood Reporter takes a look at a little-known intersection of politics and entertainment, in which Trump campaign CEO Steve Bannon is still raking in residuals from Seinfeld. Here's the digest version: When Seinfeld was in its infancy, Ted Turner was in the process of acquiring its production company, Castle Rock, but he was under-capitalized. Bannon's fledgling media company put up the remaining funds, and he agreed to "participation rights" instead of a fee. "Seinfeld has reaped more than $3 billion in its post-network afterlife through syndication deals." Meanwhile, Bannon is "still cashing checks from Seinfeld, and observers say he has made nearly 25 times more off the Castle Rock deal than he had anticipated."