U.N. Agency Avoided Elaborating on Iran Suspicions

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
Feb. 27, 2014, 5:25 a.m.

U.N. nuc­le­ar in­spect­ors last year de­cided against is­su­ing an as­sess­ment that may have elab­or­ated on Ir­an’s al­leged nuc­le­ar stud­ies, Re­u­ters re­ports.

The pro­posed In­ter­na­tion­al Atom­ic En­ergy Agency doc­u­ment might have provided more in­form­a­tion on ex­per­i­ments that Ir­an is sus­pec­ted to have con­duc­ted in a pos­sible bid for know­ledge on build­ing nuc­le­ar weapons, in­siders told the news ser­vice for a Thursday re­port. They said the U.N. or­gan­iz­a­tion ap­peared to shelve the pos­sib­il­ity as Ir­an launched a new dip­lo­mat­ic push on its atom­ic activ­it­ies un­der Pres­id­ent Has­san Rouh­ani, who was voted in­to of­fice last June.

The agency find­ings — had they been dis­closed — prob­ably would have be­come an obstacle in ef­forts to re­solve in­ter­na­tion­al fears that the Per­sian Gulf re­gion­al power is seek­ing an atom­ic-arms ca­pa­city un­der the guise of a peace­ful nuc­le­ar pro­gram, ac­cord­ing to Re­u­ters. Ir­an, which con­tends its nuc­le­ar am­bi­tions have been solely non­mil­it­ary in nature, began dis­cus­sions last week with the five per­man­ent U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil mem­ber na­tions and Ger­many on a po­ten­tial long-term deal to ad­dress the fears.

Speak­ing to journ­al­ists on Wed­nes­day, U.S. Sec­ret­ary of State John Kerry said Wash­ing­ton wants “to fig­ure out if be­fore we go to war there ac­tu­ally might be a peace­ful solu­tion” to the dis­pute, Re­u­ters re­por­ted sep­ar­ately.

In­siders sug­ges­ted the scuttled IAEA ana­lys­is might have built on the con­tents of a 2011 as­sess­ment in which the agency out­lined some of its key sus­pi­cions about the Middle East­ern na­tion’s past nuc­le­ar ef­forts. Last week, the agency re­por­ted in a quarterly safe­guards doc­u­ment that it had “ob­tained more in­form­a­tion since Novem­ber 2011 that has fur­ther cor­rob­or­ated the ana­lys­is con­tained in that an­nex.”

Ir­an has chal­lenged the au­then­ti­city of ma­ter­i­als on which the IAEA sus­pi­cions are based. Earli­er this month, though, Tehran agreed to re­spond to cer­tain in­quir­ies by a long-stalled agency probe in­ten­ded to help con­firm or de­bunk al­leg­a­tions about Ir­an’s al­leged past nuc­le­ar-re­lated re­search.

What We're Following See More »
CNN/ORC Has Clinton Up 5 Points
28 minutes ago

Hillary Clinton leads Donald Trump 49%-44% in a new CNN/ORC poll out Monday afternoon. But it's Gary Johnson's performance, or lack thereof, that's the real story. Johnson, who had cleared 10% in some surveys earlier this fall, as he made a bid to qualify for the debates, is down to 3% support. He must hit 5% nationwide for the Libertarian Party to qualify for some federal matching funds in future elections.

Rapper Jay Z to Perform Concert for Clinton
39 minutes ago
Log Cabin Republicans Don’t Endorse Trump
41 minutes ago

While the organization praised him for being "perhaps the most pro-LGBT presidential nominee in the history of the Republican Party," the Log Cabin Republicans refused to endorse Donald Trump for president. The organization, which is the largest gay organization in the United States, said that Trump failed to earn its endorsement because he surrounded himself with anti-LGBTQ people "and committed himself to supporting legislation such as the so-called 'First Amendment Defense Act' that Log Cabin Republicans opposes."

Congress Needs to Deal With Impending Nuclear Plant Closures
1 hours ago

Energy Secretary Ernesto Moniz is warning Congress "that Congress and businesses need to act with more urgency to work out a medley of challenges in promoting nuclear power." A number of nuclear plants are currently on track to close around 2030, unless their licenses are extended from 60 years to 80 years, something that could jeopardize the success of the Clean Power Plan. Moniz called on Congress to pass legislation creating interim storage facilities for used nuclear power.

Trump Pocketed Insurance Money Following 2005 Hurricane
2 hours ago

Donald Trump has said he received a $17 million insurance payment in 2005 following Hurricane Wilma, which he claimed did severe damage to his private club in Florida. However, an Associated Press investigation could not find any evidence of the large-scale damage that Trump has mentioned. Additionally, Trump claimed that he transferred some of the $17 million to his personal account thanks to a "very good insurance policy."


Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.