North Korea Seems to Have Launched Ballistic Missiles into the Sea

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
Feb. 27, 2014, 5:40 a.m.

North Korea on Thursday launched what ap­peared to be tac­tic­al bal­list­ic mis­siles in­to the sea, an uniden­ti­fied South Korean De­fense Min­istry of­fi­cial said.

The sus­pec­ted mis­sile drill by Py­ongy­ang took place a few days after the United States and South Korea began their yearly joint mil­it­ary ex­er­cises, which are seen as one of the al­lies’ biggest de­terrence-mes­saging tools to the North, the As­so­ci­ated Press re­por­ted. North Korea tra­di­tion­ally con­demns the man­euvers and some­times car­ries out timed pro­voca­tions, such as last year’s de­ploy­ment of in­ter­me­di­ate-range bal­list­ic mis­siles to its east­ern coast.

“Our mil­it­ary is pre­pared to counter any pro­voca­tions” from North Korea, South Korean de­fense chief Kim Kwan-jin was quoted as telling a gath­er­ing of re­tired seni­or of­ficers on Wed­nes­day, the Yon­hap News Agency re­por­ted.

Mean­while, uniden­ti­fied U.S. of­fi­cials told the Wash­ing­ton Times this week that the space rock­et North Korea suc­cess­fully launched in Decem­ber 2012 in­cor­por­ated Amer­ic­an, Chinese and European tech­no­logy. Debris from the Unha 3 rock­et was re­covered from the Sea of Ja­pan and ana­lyzed by South Korean and U.S. spe­cial­ists.

The ex­perts dis­covered the de­trit­us in­cluded U.K trans­mit­ters, Swiss-pro­duced elec­tric­al com­pon­ents and Amer­ic­an cir­cuits, as well as tech­no­logy pro­duced in China and East­ern Europe. The dual-use com­pon­ents were built with­in the last few years, sug­gest­ing they were secretly im­por­ted by Py­ongy­ang in spite of a mul­tilayered U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil sanc­tions re­gime tar­get­ing its bal­list­ic-mis­sile pro­gram.

Much of the tech­no­logy used to send rock­ets in­to space is rel­ev­ant for the de­vel­op­ment of in­ter­con­tin­ent­al bal­list­ic mis­siles. North Korea claims its space-rock­et launches are peace­ful. The Se­cur­ity Coun­cil tightened sanc­tions against the North as pun­ish­ment for the Decem­ber 2012 launch.

What We're Following See More »
NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
COMMISSIONERS NEED TO DELIBERATE MORE
FCC Pushes Vote on Set-Top Boxes
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Federal regulators on Thursday delayed a vote on a proposal to reshape the television market by freeing consumers from cable box rentals, putting into doubt a plan that has pitted technology companies against cable television providers. ... The proposal will still be considered for a future vote. But Tom Wheeler, chairman of the F.C.C., said commissioners needed more discussions."

Source:
UNTIL DEC. 9, ANYWAY
Obama Signs Bill to Fund Government
7 hours ago
THE LATEST
REDSKINS IMPLICATIONS
SCOTUS to Hear Case on Offensive Trademarks
8 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

"The Supreme Court is taking up a First Amendment clash over the government’s refusal to register offensive trademarks, a case that could affect the Washington Redskins in their legal fight over the team name. The justices agreed Thursday to hear a dispute involving an Asian-American rock band called the Slants, but they did not act on a separate request to hear the higher-profile Redskins case at the same time." Still, any precedent set by the case could have ramifications for the Washington football team.

Source:
STAFF PICKS
Bannon Still Collecting Royalties from ‘Seinfeld’
9 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

The Hollywood Reporter takes a look at a little-known intersection of politics and entertainment, in which Trump campaign CEO Steve Bannon is still raking in residuals from Seinfeld. Here's the digest version: When Seinfeld was in its infancy, Ted Turner was in the process of acquiring its production company, Castle Rock, but he was under-capitalized. Bannon's fledgling media company put up the remaining funds, and he agreed to "participation rights" instead of a fee. "Seinfeld has reaped more than $3 billion in its post-network afterlife through syndication deals." Meanwhile, Bannon is "still cashing checks from Seinfeld, and observers say he has made nearly 25 times more off the Castle Rock deal than he had anticipated."

Source:
×