Afghanistan’s al-Qaida leader is moving to shore up his support and retrain militants, as the United States and President Hamid Karzai’s government remain at an impasse over a post-2014 security agreement.
Defense and intelligence officials told the Associated Press that a counterterrorism campaign, including drone and missile strikes, is underway to keep Farouq al-Qahtani al-Qatari from restarting the large militant training camps that he oversaw before the war began.
Al-Qatari is in the Kunar and Nuristan provinces, near the Pakistani border, where officials would like to keep him. They added that without the continued ability to fly drones and jets from at least one air base — which could be blocked if a bilateral security agreement between the U.S. and Afghanistan isn’t reached — the al-Qaida leader and his followers could plan attacks against the United States.
President Obama on Tuesday asked for the Pentagon to create a contingency plan for withdrawing all U.S. troops by the end of the year, referred to as the “zero option.” If all U.S. troops leave the country, NATO will also pull its forces.
Obama’s request followed a public campaign by U.S. and NATO officials to get the Afghan president to sign the security agreement. Karzai pushed the signing of the pact until after the country’s elections this spring.
Military and administration officials, members of Congress, and outside experts have repeatedly warned that if the United States pulls out all of its troops, the Taliban and al-Qaida would likely see a resurgence in the country.
That line of thought was echoed by Gen. Raymond Odierno, the Army chief of staff, earlier this month. He said that Afghanistan’s institutions, including security forces, have made “quite a bit” of progress, but aren’t strong enough to maintain those advances over the long term.
The Defense Department has recommended leaving 10,000 troops in the country through 2017.
What We're Following See More »
The Presidential Inaugural Committee "acknowledged late Monday that a final report it filed with the Federal Election Commission this month was riddled with errors, many of which were first identified through a crowdsourced data project at HuffPost." The committee raised about $100 million for the festivities, but the 500-page FEC report, which detailed where that money came from, was riddled with problems. The likely culprit: a system of access codes sent out by the GOP's ticketing system. Those codes were then often passed around on the secondary market.
The Michael Flynn story is not going away for the White House as it tries to refocus its attention. The White House has denied requests from the House Oversight Committee for information and documents regarding payments that the former nationals security adviser received from Russian state television station RT and Russian firms. House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz and ranking members Elijah Cummings also said that Flynn failed to report these payments on his security clearance application. White House legislative director Marc Short argued that the documents request are either not in the possession of the White House or contain sensitive information he believes are not applicable to the committee's stated investigation.
The U.S. deployed "F-35 joint strike fighters" to Estonia on Tuesday. The "jets will stay in Estonia for several weeks and will be a part of training flights with U.S. and other NATO air forces." The move comes at a time of high tension between the U.S. and Estonia's neighbor, Russia. The two nations have been at odds over a number of issues recently, most of all being Vladimir Putin's support of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in light of Assad's chemical weapons attack on his own people in the midst of a civil war.
It took long enough, but the Trump administration finally includes an Agriculture secretary. "The Senate easily approved Sonny Perdue on Monday" by a count of 87-11. Perdue enjoyed the support of Democrats like Delaware's Chris Coons and Wisconsin's Tammy Baldwin, both of whom spoke in his favor.