A key monitoring agency began debating Syria’s revised plan to turn over warfare chemicals in a closely watched disarmament effort, Reuters reports.
The Syrian government’s latest proposal for removing the substances was the focus of a Tuesday discussion at the multinational governing body of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons in The Hague. The operation’s top international overseer said the government in Damascus had endorsed a 60-day timeline to complete its remaining chemical shipments, the Associated Press reported on Tuesday.
“We anticipate a lot of action in the month of March,” said Sigrid Kaag, special coordinator of the U.N.-OPCW operation. She added that a goal to destroy the entire stockpile by June 30 is still within reach.
Western envoys, though, contend that the regime must finish the transfers this month in order to allow other countries enough time to finish neutralizing the materials by the end-of-June objective date, according to Reuters. International authorities last year called for the handover to wrap up by early February, and President Bashar Assad’s regime has blamed delays on rebel threats to materials being transported across Syria’s embattled territory to a coastal pick-up point.
The chemical-disarmament agency on Tuesday said Assad’s government had placed two additional arms caches in international custody since last week. With the latest transfers, the regime has surrendered roughly one-third of its entire declared stockpile and just over a fifth of its deadliest substances, the organization said in a statement.
OPCW Director General Ahmet Üzümcü said “it will be important to maintain this newly created momentum.”
“For its part, the Syrian government has reaffirmed its commitment to implement the removal operations in a timely manner,” he added in comments to the 41-nation OPCW Executive Council.
What We're Following See More »
"The Trump administration is ending a humanitarian program that has allowed some 59,000 Haitians to live and work in the United States since an earthquake ravaged their country in 2010, Homeland Security officials said on Monday. Haitians with what is known as Temporary Protected Status will be expected to leave the United States by July 2019 or face deportation. ... About 320,000 people now benefit from the Temporary Protected Status program, which was signed into law by President George Bush in 1990."
"A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities. U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the executive order applies only to a relatively small pot of money and said Trump cannot set new conditions on spending approved by Congress. The judge had previously made the same arguments in a ruling that put a temporary hold on the executive order."