Military Official Distances Himself From Comment That Asia Pivot Can’t Happen

Admiral said he doesn’t “completely agree” with assistant defense secretary.

National Journal
Jordain Carney
Add to Briefcase
Jordain Carney
March 5, 2014, 9:33 a.m.

A top Pentagon of­fi­cial on Wed­nes­day dis­tanced him­self from an earli­er com­ment that the de­part­ment’s shift in fo­cus to the Asia-Pa­cific re­gion can’t hap­pen.

Kat­rina Mc­Far­land, as­sist­ant De­fense sec­ret­ary for ac­quis­i­tion, caught the at­ten­tion of the de­fense world with her com­ments on Tues­day when, speak­ing at a con­fer­ence in Ar­ling­ton, she said, “The pivot is be­ing looked at again, be­cause, can­didly, it can’t hap­pen.”

De­fense News re­por­ted Mc­Far­land’s com­ments, which tied the cur­rent budget crunch to the U.S.’s Asia-Pa­cific re­fo­cus.

Adm. Samuel Lock­lear III, the com­mand­er for the U.S. Pa­cific Com­mand, said he “wouldn’t com­pletely agree with it,” when asked about the com­ment at a House Armed Ser­vices sub­com­mit­tee hear­ing Wed­nes­day on the Pentagon’s fisc­al 2015 budget re­quest.

But he did say that while his com­mand is mov­ing for­ward with the shift, fu­ture budgets will play a role.

“The real ques­tion is wheth­er or not the force that Con­gress will even­tu­ally buy is it ad­equate for the se­cur­ity en­vir­on­ment,” Lock­lear said, not­ing that the shift in fo­cus to the Asia-Pa­cific stretches bey­ond only the De­fense De­part­ment.

Mc­Far­land, for her part, later cla­ri­fied her re­por­ted com­ments, say­ing in a state­ment: “I was asked a ques­tion about the budget … and how it relates to our pivot to Asia. I was re­it­er­at­ing what Sec­ret­ary Hagel said last week: That the shift in fo­cus to the Asia-Pa­cific re­quires us to ‘ad­apt, in­nov­ate, and make dif­fi­cult (budget­ary and ac­quis­i­tion) de­cisions to en­sure that our mil­it­ary re­mains ready and cap­able.’ That’s ex­actly what we’ve done in this budget. The re­bal­ance to Asia can and will con­tin­ue.”

What We're Following See More »
STAFF IS PUSHING BACK
Trump Wants Scaramucci to Helm WH Communications
26 minutes ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump is expected to announce that Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci will be White House communications director, according to two sources familiar with the planning. Trump has left the role open since Mike Dubke resigned in May, and the President has vented frequently to his friends about the performance of his press operation." According to NBC News, Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus are resisting the move.

Source:
NEW GALLUP POLL
Trump’s Approval Rating a Record Low at 6-Month Point
45 minutes ago
THE DETAILS

"President Donald Trump's second-quarter job approval rating has fallen below what any other past president has gotten during the same time frame. A new Gallup poll found that Trump averaged a 38.8% rating between April 20 and July 19. The average approval rating for that time is 62%. President Obama was at the average during this time period, as was President Nixon. President Clinton is the only president who was below 50% by the second quarter, coming in with a 44% approval rating." There is also a large partisan gap. "Just 8% of Democrats approved of Trump's job performance during the second quarter, but 85% of Republicans did. Approval ratings have become increasingly polarized in recent administrations, but the 77-point gap for Trump is a new record."

Source:
ANNOUNCEMENT IMMINENT
Government to Bar Americans from Visiting N. Korea
46 minutes ago
THE DETAILS

"The US government will soon prohibit American citizens from traveling to North Korea, according to two tour groups that cater to Western tourists who want to visit the secretive country. The US will announce the ban within a couple of days, said Simon Cockerell, general manager of Beijing-based Koryo Tours. The agency was informed of the development by officials of the Swedish government, which represents America's interests in North Korea, he told CNN."

Source:
NEA AND NEH GET $145 MIL EACH
House Appropriations Ignore Trump’s Proposed Arts Cuts
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Federal arts and humanities programs targeted for elimination by the Trump administration would get a lifeline from House appropriators willing to ignore the president’s proposal and keep them running. The $31.5 billion fiscal 2018 Interior-Environment spending bill approved by the House Appropriations Committee on Tuesday includes $145 million for the National Endowment for the Arts. While that’s still a 3.2 percent cut from the fiscal year 2017 enacted level, it is more than $116 million above Trump’s budget request. The National Endowment for the Humanities would receive $145 million in fiscal 2018, which is $103.7 million above the White House budget request."

Source:
469 WITHDRAWN, 391 BEING REEVALUATED
Trump Nixes Hundreds of Obama Regs
3 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The White House’s Office of Management and Budget detailed Thursday how it would jettison hundreds of existing or planned regulations as part of its larger push to ease federal restrictions on the private sector, upending federal policies on labor, the environment and public health. ... The Trump administration said it was pulling or suspending 860 pending regulations."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login