The Pentagon’s budget sets up an uphill battle with Congress by requesting further domestic base closures and realignment, but the Defense Department’s top official could try to give members the slip.
As part of the department’s 2015 fiscal-year budget request, the Pentagon wants a round of base closures and realignment — known as BRAC — for U.S. bases in 2017.
“We think BRAC is a smart position to have, as you know we have called for it again, we’re going to continue work through all this,” Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said at an Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Wednesday. “I’ve got some options as secretary of Defense in law “¦ through a section of Article 10.”
The secretary didn’t specify what options he could have in regard to reducing overhead, but a House staffer suggested last month that under a provision of federal law dealing with the Defense Department, Hagel could close bases and only have to notify Congress beforehand — rather than ask its permission.
If the secretary wants to close a base with at least 300 civilian employees or cut more than 1,000, or more than 50 percent, of civilian jobs at a base, he must notify the Armed Services committees as part of the department’s annual budget request, according to federal law.
That notification must include an “evaluation of the fiscal, local economic, budgetary, environmental, strategic, and operational consequences of such closure or realignment.”
What Congress could do to stop Hagel is unclear, but Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., has pressed Pentagon officials — including Bob Work, the president’s deputy Defense secretary nominee — to clarify where any legal authority the Pentagon could have comes from.
“I believe that Congress should be in the position to approve BRAC, and there should not be a runaround done,” Ayotte said last week.
As Pentagon officials have acknowledged, members are loath to close bases that could cost jobs back in their home states and would cost money up front before savings kick in. Deputy Defense Secretary Christine Fox said before the budget was released that Defense officials were hearing that their base-closure request would be “dead on arrival.”
Rising costs from a 2005 recommendation for a round of base closure and realignment left some members of Congress hesitant to try again. A commission originally estimated that it would cost the Pentagon $21 billion to follow its recommendations, but, according to a 2012 GAO report, the cost ended up around $35.1 billion.
Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., touched on that during Wednesday’s hearing, adding that she “certainly strongly disagrees with another BRAC round at this time.”
But the Defense Department is planning to follow forthcoming recommendations to close or realign bases across Europe, which aren’t subject to congressional approval. The Pentagon has reduced its infrastructure in Europe by 30 percent since 2000.
But Shaheen suggested that members of Congress do need to know what recommendations are being made about base closures in Europe, and throughout the world, before they can consider requests to close or realign bases in their own backyards.
And Rep. Michael Turner, R-Ohio, suggested during his questioning at a House Armed Services subcommittee hearing Wednesday that the European bases are central to the military’s overall mission.
General David Rodriguez, head of the U.S. Africa Command, agreed, saying the bases are “critical for our mission in Africa.”
What We're Following See More »
As has been rumored for a week, Donald Trump will nominate Ben Carson, his former rival, to lead the Department of Housing and Urban Development. In a statement, Trump said, "We have talked at length about my urban renewal agenda and our message of economic revival, very much including our inner cities. Ben shares my optimism about the future of our country and is part of ensuring that this is a Presidency representing all Americans. He is a tough competitor and never gives up."
"Supporters of Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein on Saturday withdrew a last-ditch lawsuit in Pennsylvania state court aimed at forcing a statewide ballot recount, another major setback in the effort to verify the votes in three states that provided President-elect Donald Trump his margin of victory. Ms. Stein’s campaign announced in a statement Saturday that the Pennsylvania lawsuit had been dropped after the court demanded that a $1 million bond be posted by the 100 Pennsylvania residents who brought the suit."
In a series of early-morning tweets on Sunday, Donald Trump threatened companies that attempt to relocate out of the country. "Any business that leaves our country for another country, fires its employees, builds a new factory or plant in the other country, and then thinks it will sell its product back into the U.S. without retribution or consequence, is WRONG!," he wrote. "There will be a tax on our soon to be strong border of 35% for these companies."
"The Army Corps of Engineers has decided to deny the easement for the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline, the National Congress of American Indians said in a statement Sunday. The decision would essentially halt the construction of the oil pipeline right above the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation and it also comes as demonstrators across the country flocked to North Dakota in protest."
Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi will submit his resignation today, after a referendum vote went against his side. The development represents yet another win for populism around the globe, as the populist 5 Stars Movement, Renzi's chief rivals, took 60 percent of the vote. Renzi claimed the reforms "were vital to modernize Italy."