Iran Questions Western ‘Desire’ to End Atomic Dispute

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
March 10, 2014, 6:38 a.m.

Ir­an’s top dip­lo­mat ques­tioned the ser­i­ous­ness of West­ern atom­ic ne­go­ti­at­ors after ex­tens­ive talks with a chief mul­ti­lat­er­al en­voy, the Wall Street Journ­al re­ports.

Ir­a­ni­an For­eign Min­is­ter Mo­hammad Javad Za­rif voiced skep­ti­cism about the de­term­in­a­tion of West­ern powers to peace­fully de­fuse a long­stand­ing nuc­le­ar dis­pute after he met with European Uni­on for­eign policy chief Cath­er­ine Ashton, who traveled to Tehran on be­half of the five per­man­ent U.N. Se­cur­ity Coun­cil mem­ber na­tions and Ger­many. In ad­di­tion to speak­ing with Za­rif, Ashton on Sunday met in the Ir­a­ni­an cap­it­al with Pres­id­ent Has­san Rouh­ani, par­lia­ment speak­er Ali Lar­i­jani and Ali Ak­bar Velay­ati, a seni­or coun­selor to su­preme lead­er Ayatol­lah Ali Khame­nei.

The “P-5+1” powers are seek­ing a long-term deal to al­le­vi­ate glob­al sus­pi­cions that Ir­an is pur­su­ing a nuc­le­ar-arms cap­ab­il­ity through its atom­ic pro­gram, which Tehran in­sists is en­tirely peace­ful. The Middle East­ern na­tion, for its part, is seek­ing re­lief from in­ter­na­tion­al sanc­tions.

Za­rif said “it is up to the oth­er side [to] come to the ne­go­ti­at­ing table with a de­sire, de­cision and com­mit­ment to reach a mu­tu­ally ac­cept­able agree­ment.”

The for­eign min­is­ter also voiced con­cerns over oth­er coun­tries’ com­pli­ance with a six-month atom­ic pact reached in Novem­ber as an ini­tial step to­ward a broad­er com­prom­ise. Tehran has taken is­sue with how the United States is fol­low­ing through on pledges to grant Ir­an ac­cess to pet­ro­leum pro­ceeds held over­seas, and with U.S. steps to tight­en ex­ist­ing sanc­tions.

“It is up to the oth­er party to show the same good­will and de­term­in­a­tion [as Ir­an],” Re­u­ters quoted Za­rif as say­ing. “With de­sire, com­mit­ment and will­ing­ness a com­pre­hens­ive deal can be reached … in four or five months.”

Ashton, though, said “there’s no guar­an­tee we’ll suc­ceed,” the Journ­al re­por­ted.

Her side has aired wor­ries about some con­di­tions Tehran has placed on the ne­go­ti­ations, in­clud­ing its re­fus­al to ad­dress Ir­a­ni­an mis­sile op­er­a­tions.

Ashton spokes­man Mi­chael Mann said West­ern gov­ern­ments hope “to ne­go­ti­ate quickly, but the most im­port­ant thing is that it’s a good agree­ment that every­one can live with,” the Wash­ing­ton Post re­por­ted.

“It’s im­port­ant to come [to Tehran] and see what scope there is for work­ing with Ir­an,” Mann ad­ded.

Ir­a­ni­an dip­lo­mats are sched­uled to meet next week with coun­ter­parts from China, France, Ger­many, Rus­sia, the United King­dom and the United States.

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
23 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
1 days ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
1 days ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
1 days ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×