The State Department is asking Congress for $4.6 billion to boost security at its embassies and consulates, a request that follows 2012’s deadly attack on the department’s facility in Benghazi, Libya.
The funding would be used, State’s fiscal 2015 budget plan says, for security staff and upgrades to infrastructure, and for new embassies or consulate compounds. That’s $600 million more than the $4 billion requested for security upgrades last year.
A handful of recent congressional reports have questioned, if not outright blamed, the department for its lack of responsiveness leading up the 2012 attack that killed four Americans: Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens, U.S. Foreign Service Information Officer Sean Smith, and embassy security personnel Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods.
Secretary of State John Kerry said in a letter submitted with the budget request that the extra funding would help “regularize security enhancements made” since a 2012 Benghazi Accountability Review Board found that security in Benghazi was “grossly inadequate” to withstand the attack.
Kerry is going to Congress this week to explain his department’s request. Although the attack happened while Hillary Clinton headed the State Department, staffers say Kerry will face scrutiny over State’s security practices and if, or how, they’ve been improved in the roughly 18 months since Benghazi.
“The failures of Benghazi can be summed up this way: The Americans serving in Libya were vulnerable; the State Department knew they were vulnerable; and no one in the administration really did anything about it,” according to a 2014 report by the Senate Intelligence Committee.
Following up on a recommendation from the review board report, the department’s budget backs an interagency effort to provide $2.2 billion for capital security construction.
What We're Following See More »
"Chances of a government shutdown grew Monday as Republicans concluded that they would be unable to reach a long-term spending accord by the Friday deadline. GOP leaders are now turning to a short-term funding measure in hopes of keeping agencies open while talks continue, but Democratic leaders say they are unlikely to support any deal that does not protect young illegal immigrants. Aides to key negotiators from both parties planned to meet Tuesday in an effort to rekindle budget talks, setting up a Wednesday meeting of the leaders themselves. If they cannot agree, the government would shut down at midnight Friday for the first time since 2013."
“'As a junior foreign service officer, I signed an oath to serve faithfully the president and his administration in an apolitical fashion, even when I might not agree with certain policies. My instructors made clear that if I believed I could not do that, I would be honor bound to resign. That time has come,' Feeley said, according to an excerpt of his resignation letter read to Reuters."
Sens. Ron Wyden and Rand Paul said they will oppose reauthorization of FISA's Section 702 unless the bill contains added "protections for Americans' privacy rights. The powers granted by Section 702 are only supposed to be used against foreigners on foreign soil. But an American's communications can get swept up in the NSA's surveillance dragnet if they communicate with people overseas." More robust privacy protections were voted down by the House this week when it approved the authorization, but without them, Paul and Wyden say they'll filibuster.