Just as the series of faux Democratic websites created by the Republicans was fading from the news, they are the subject of a new ethics complaint from Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.
The group said Wednesday that it had filed an ethics complaint against Rep. Greg Walden, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, for approving the sites.
The NRCC launched a series of websites last year that are designed, at first glance, to appear as if they belong to House Democratic candidates. Despite the smiling photos and official-looking logos, the text on the sites contains biting critiques of the Democrats — along with a large “Donate” button.
National Journal first reported in December that the sites may violate Federal Election Commission rules for confusing voters. The NRCC has since overhauled the donation page on the sites to make it clearer that money contributed goes to the Republicans, not a Democrat.
“These websites are clear-cut efforts to deceive voters. Rep. Walden and the NRCC need to understand that candidates and parties must win elections fair and square, not by hook or by crook,” CREW Executive Director Melanie Sloan said in a statement.
Curiously, CREW, which Republicans accuse of a liberal agenda, did not file its complaint with the FEC but instead with the Office of Congressional Ethics, an independent investigative arm of the House. The group said that it did so because “violating campaign finance laws also violates House ethics rules.”
A local New Jersey Democratic group had previously filed a complaint with the FEC.
“This is nothing more than a publicity stunt by an extreme liberal front group for Democrats to bolster their deflated supporters after the Democrats’ defeat in yesterday’s special election,” said Andrea Bozek, a spokeswoman for the NRCC.
What We're Following See More »
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has called for an ethics investigation of Rep. John Conyers, amidst reports that the Michigan Democrat settled sexual harassment charges. "My office resolved the allegations — with an express denial of liability — in order to save all involved from the rigors of protracted litigation," Conyers admitted, after first denying any knowledge of the charges.
"The Trump administration is ending a humanitarian program that has allowed some 59,000 Haitians to live and work in the United States since an earthquake ravaged their country in 2010, Homeland Security officials said on Monday. Haitians with what is known as Temporary Protected Status will be expected to leave the United States by July 2019 or face deportation. ... About 320,000 people now benefit from the Temporary Protected Status program, which was signed into law by President George Bush in 1990."