Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg is envisioning a future where the Internet will be powered by “drones, satellites, and lasers.”
The billionaire announced in a blog post Thursday the creation of Facebook Connectivity Lab, a company division working with Internet.org to bring connectivity to those currently without access.
“In our effort to connect the whole world with Internet.org, we’ve been working on ways to beam Internet to people from the sky,” Zuckerberg said. “Our goal with Internet.org is to make affordable access to basic Internet services available to every person in the world.”
Internet.org is an effort launched last year by Facebook and other groups to increase Internet accessibility around the globe. The site released two videos alongside Zuckerberg’s announcement. One simulates what a solar-powered drone capable of providing Internet might look like. Another features a Facebook employee discussing the company’s Connectivity Lab.
Facebook has been busy shelling out billions to buy other technology companies recently. Earlier this week the social-media giant bought Oculus VR, a virtual-reality headset maker, for $2 billion. Last month, it announced a purchase of mobile chat client WhatsApp for an eye-popping $19 billion.
This is the second time in the last month Zuckerberg has taken to his Facebook page to announce attention-grabbing news. He previously used the venue to express his frustration over revelations about the government’s Internet surveillance programs, which led to a summit with President Obama last week that he and other executives of big tech firms attended.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."