Members of the U.N. Security Council in a Thursday closed-door session reportedly rebuked North Korea for its test earlier this week of two ballistic missiles.
Each representative at the powerful 15-member U.N. body condemned the firing of the Rodong medium-range missiles “as a violation of Security Council resolution[s],” Luxembourg diplomat Sylvie Lucas, the current rotating president of the council, said after the meeting was done, Reuters reported.
Multiple council envoys said further discussions probably would be held next week on potential new measures against North Korea. An unidentified Western diplomat told the news service it would “be an appropriate response” to broaden the number of North Korean entities under U.N. sanctions.
Whether the council decides to expand the sanctions list will depend largely on China’s willingness to go along. Beijing on a number of previous occasions has protected North Korea from Security Council punishments.
Meanwhile, U.S. Army Chief of Staff Gen. Raymond Odierno on Tuesday told a congressional hearing that the service was “looking at the options” for maintaining deployment of an antimissile system in Guam that could counter intermediate-range ballistic missile strikes, the Pacific Daily News reported.
The Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense system was deployed to the U.S. island territory in spring 2013 during a period of heightened nuclear tensions with North Korea.
Separately, South Korea, Japan, and the United States have agreed to hold two separate trilateral meetings in April to focus on improving cooperation in responses to North Korea, the Yonhap News Agency reported. One meeting is to involve high-ranking defense officials from the three countries. The other session is expected to involve the nations’ senior negotiators assigned to a stalled multinational process on North Korean denuclearization.
Elsewhere, South Korean President Park Geun-hye in a high-profile speech on Friday said Seoul was prepared to supply North Korea with significant economic assistance, if Pyongyang would agree to surrender its nuclear-weapons program, Reuters separately reported.
What We're Following See More »
Perhaps Donald Trump can take a plebiscite to solve this whole messy immigration thing. At a Fox News town hall with Sean Hannity last night, Trump essentially admitted he's "stumped," turning to the audience and asking: “Can we go through a process or do you think they have to get out? Tell me, I mean, I don’t know, you tell me.”
Donald Trump "nearly quintupled the monthly rent his presidential campaign pays for its headquarters at Trump Tower to $169,758 in July, when he was raising funds from donors, compared with March, when he was self-funding his campaign." A campaign spokesman "said the increased office space was needed to accommodate an anticipated increase in employees," but the campaign's paid staff has actually dipped by about 25 since March. The campaign has also paid his golf courses and restaurants about $260,000 since mid-May.
Donald Trump probably isn't taking seriously John Oliver's suggestion that he quit the race. But he has canceled or rescheduled rallies amid questions over his stance on immigration. Trump rescheduled a speech on the topic that he was set to give later this week. Plus, he's also nixed planned rallies in Oregon and Las Vegas this month.
Donald Trump's Fox News brain trust keeps growing. After it was revealed that former Fox chief Roger Ailes is informally advising Trump on debate preparation, host Sean Hannity admitted over the weekend that he's also advising Trump on "strategy and messaging." He told the New York Times: “I’m not hiding the fact that I want Donald Trump to be the next president of the United States. I never claimed to be a journalist.”