Legislators pressed the head of General Motors Tuesday to disclose who knew what and when regarding the automaker’s faulty ignition switches that led to at least a dozen deaths. The answer, for the most part: Stay tuned.
GM CEO Mary Barra told a House subcommittee her company’s internal investigation is ongoing, pledging to provide answers on the decadelong problem that only recently led to the recall of millions of cars.
Time after time, Barra responded to questions with some version of “I don’t know,” but promised that an improved corporate culture since she took GM’s helm earlier this year would yield answers and prevent future problems. For many questions, Barra alluded to the investigation being conducted by former U.S. Attorney Anton Valukas, saying his report will shed more light on the queries she was unable to answer.
That wasn’t good enough for some legislators. “I hold in my hands a February report and a March report to [the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration],” said Rep. Paul Tonko. “I’m confused somewhat about that fair amount of knowledge that has been formally exchanged to NHTSA. At the same time, we’re hearing, ‘We don’t know until the investigation is complete.’ There’s a conflict here.”
Rep. Tim Murphy, chair of the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee of the Energy and Commerce Committee, asked Barra if she’d even read the report that GM submitted to the committee. Barra said she hadn’t, citing its 200,000-page length.
The problem stemmed from GM’s small-vehicle line. A faulty spring in some cars’ ignition switches led the vehicles to shut off after bumps, killing the engine and inhibiting braking, steering, and airbag deployment.
As far back as 2002, GM knew that the switch was not up to its specifications. Engineers looked at the problem in 2004 and 2005, ultimately deciding to advise drivers to keep heavy objects off their key chains.
Then in 2007, NHTSA was made aware of fatalities resulting from the ignition flaw, but did not investigate further. Not until February did GM begin to issue recalls on its vehicles.
The cost to replace an ignition switch totaled no more than a couple dollars, said Energy and Commerce ranking member Henry Waxman. Barra said cost considerations overriding safety concerns would be a serious problem if it proved to be true.
During the hearing, Barra also revealed that attorney Kenneth Feinberg would advise GM on compensation for victims.
What We're Following See More »
The National Defense Authorization Act passed the House this morning by a 375-34 vote. The bill, which heads to the Senate next week for final consideration, would fund the military to the tune of $618.7 billion, "about $3.2 billion more than the president requested for fiscal 2017. ... The White House has issued a veto threat on both the House and Senate-passed versions of the bill, but has not yet said if it will sign the compromise bill released by the conference committee this week."
"Republicans have elected Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) the next chairman of the powerful House Energy and Commerce Committee. Walden defeated Reps. John Shimkus (R-IL) and Joe Barton (R-TX), the former committee chairman, in the race for the gavel" to succeed Michgan's Fred Upton.
"Democratic and Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee are working on legislation that would limit deportations" under President-elect Donald Trump. Leading the effort are Judiciary Committee members Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is also expected to sign on.
Donald Trump has selected retired Marine Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis as his secretary of defense, according to The Washington Post. Mattis retired from active duty just four years ago, so Congress will have "to pass new legislation to bypass a federal law that states secretaries of defense must not have been on active duty in the previous seven years." The official announcement is likely to come next week.