India’s Singh Wants Global Convention on No-First Use of Nuclear Arms

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
April 2, 2014, 9:59 a.m.

In­di­an Prime Min­is­ter Man­mo­han Singh on Wed­nes­day called for the es­tab­lish­ment of a glob­al con­ven­tion on a no-first-use policy for nuc­le­ar weapons.

“If all states pos­sess­ing nuc­le­ar weapons re­cog­nize that if this is so” — that is, that nuc­le­ar weapons are only for de­terrence — “and are pre­pared to de­clare it, we can quickly move to the es­tab­lish­ment of glob­al no-first use norm,” Singh was quoted by the Press Trust of In­dia as say­ing at a sem­in­ar on how to achieve world­wide nuc­le­ar dis­arm­a­ment.

New Del­hi pre­vi­ously pro­claimed its de­sire for such a world­wide pact that would in­volve all nuc­le­ar-armed coun­tries pledging to nev­er be the first one in a con­flict to use their atom­ic weapons. In­dia and China already have de­clared nuc­le­ar doc­trines of no-first use.

In­dia is es­tim­ated to re­tain an ar­sen­al of roughly 100 weapons, a stock­pile be­lieved sim­il­ar in size to its re­gion­al rival, Pakistan.

Singh touted a no-first use con­ven­tion as an im­port­ant step that could “open the ways to gradu­al re­duc­tion and fi­nally elim­in­a­tion through a nuc­le­ar weapon con­ven­tion.”

Some coun­tries have be­gun try­ing to drum up sup­port for es­tab­lish­ing a dead­line for atom­ic weapon pos­sessor states to be­gin ne­go­ti­ations on a nuc­le­ar dis­arm­a­ment treaty.

Singh said while it was a good idea for coun­tries in their na­tion­al de­fense doc­trines to lim­it the num­ber of cir­cum­stances un­der which their nuc­le­ar weapons could be em­ployed, na­tions would have to act to­geth­er in this arena.

“What is im­port­ant today is an agreed mul­ti­lat­er­al frame­work that can in­volve all states pos­sess­ing nuc­le­ar weapons,” the prime min­is­ter said. “What is needed is fo­cus on prac­tic­al meas­ures that re­duce nuc­le­ar dangers.”

What We're Following See More »
TURNING OVER 3,000 RUSSIAN ADS
Facebook to Cooperate with Congress
6 hours ago
WHY WE CARE
CALLS HIM A “FRIEND OF MINE”
Trump Praises Erdogan
6 hours ago
THE DETAILS
INFORMS CONGRESS RE: EXECUTIVE ORDER
Trump Makes Good on Promise of New North Korea Sanctions
7 hours ago
THE LATEST

President Trump this afternoon announced another round of sanctions on North Korea, calling the regime "a continuing threat." The executive order, which Trump relayed to Congress, bans any ship or plane that has visited North Korea from visiting the United States within 180 days. The order also authorizes sanctions on any financial institution doing business with North Korea, and permits the secretaries of State and the Treasury to sanction any person involved in trading with North Korea, operating a port there, or involved in a variety of industries there.

SUED FOR SIMILAR DESIGN
Ivanka to Court Over $785 Sandals
8 hours ago
THE DETAILS
DOESN’T KNOW WHEN
Trump Says He’ll Visit Puerto Rico
10 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Seated next to Ukrainian President Poroshenko on his final day of meetings at the United Nations, Trump did not say when he might go to Puerto Rico, but spoke solemnly about the destruction to an island he said had been 'absolutely obliterated.'”

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login