Nuclear-arms officials said a Los Alamos National Laboratory security update was done under budget, despite millions of dollars in unplanned costs.
The U.S. National Nuclear Security Administration on Thursday said it spent $1 million less to improve protections at a sensitive area of the New Mexico site than its “original budget” had allocated.
However, the picture is a bit more complicated than that; program costs went down in April 2011, only to skyrocket anew later on as security boosts were installed at aging Los Alamos lab facilities that handle plutonium usable in nuclear arms.
Fixing the issues ultimately required tens of millions of dollars in unplanned expenses and more than a year of additional work, the Associated Press reported.
A nuclear agency official acknowledged in a Thursday statement that the effort to upgrade defenses at Technical Area 55 — the country’s sole site for manufacturing plutonium nuclear-bomb triggers — was a “troubled project.”
The comment by NNSA Associate Administrator Bob Raines was an allusion to flaws discovered in the late stages of the new system’s delivery. His agency — a semiautonomous branch of the Energy Department — revealed the problems in late 2012, several months before the project was originally slated for completion.
The nuclear agency could still say that the project wrapped up “under budget,” though, because its earliest cost estimate was far greater than a projection it adopted later on.
“Due to favorable contract bids in April 2011, NNSA reduced the estimated total project cost from $245 million to $213 million,” Energy Department Inspector General Gregory Friedman said in a report earlier this year.
The cost of fixing the system’s problems apparently eliminated most of the earlier-anticipated savings. Still, the project came in just short of the initial $245 million estimate, according to an NNSA news release.
What We're Following See More »
The new emails related to Hillary Clinton, which FBI Director James Comey referenced in a Friday letter to Congress, came to light in the midst of an investigation of Anthony Weiner, former New York Congressman and estranged husband of Clinton aide Huma Abedin. Weiner is being investigated for allegedly sexting with an underage woman.
Donald Trump "wired $10 million of his own money into his presidential campaign Friday morning," which "will be used to buy $25 million in new TV advertising in key battleground states." He's now put in a total of $66 million to his campaign.
It was announced on Friday that Gary Johnson and Jill Stein will participate in a candidate's forum, to be filmed live on Oct. 31 and air in two parts. The forum will air on PBS's Tavis Smiley. Additionally, there will be a 30 minute discussion available exclusively online with questions selected from social media.