Pentagon leaders expect to soon give President Obama a plan for specific U.S. nuclear cuts to bring the arsenal in line with arms control caps.
A number of alternatives have been under contemplation for reducing deployed bomber aircraft and land- and submarine-based ballistic missiles to meet a limit of 700 delivery systems and 1,550 warheads under the New START agreement, which entered into force in February 2011.
“We’ve looked at this problem very, very hard over the last year,” Adm. James Winnefeld, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in response to a question from Representative Jim Langevin (D-R.I) at a Thursday hearing.
He said defense leaders are “close” to finalizing a recommendation.
“It’s a vexing challenge to look at all of the factors involved and the relative advantages of decreasing [intercontinental ballistic missile] silos and decreasing [submarine-launched ballistic missile] tubes on submarines,” Winnefeld told members of the House Armed Services Committee.
Internal Pentagon discussions surrounding the matter had been “spirited,” the No. 2 military officer added.
At issue is how the Pentagon will alter its mix of delivery vehicles for nuclear weapons — ground-launched Minuteman 3 missiles, submarine-launched Trident D-5 missiles, and bombers — to meet limits of the New START agreement with Russia. Beyond the 700-system cap, 100 delivery platforms are allowed in reserve.
Congress already has waded into the debate. Lawmakers from states hosting the nation’s 450 Minuteman missiles are attempting to block the Pentagon from starting even initial studies into the possibility of closing a portion of their underground launch silos.
Winnefeld on Thursday decried the Pentagon’s inability to proceed with assessing launch-silo requirements, arguing that insights from such analyses are badly needed for future decisions.
In questioning Winnefeld, Langevin indirectly criticized congressional opponents to possible reductions.
“I, for one, would feel much better knowing that decisions made regarding what constitutes a safe, secure and effective deterrent triad is informed by the best judgment of our uniformed leaders about how to balance a deterrent, rather than shaping the nation’s nuclear force based on parochial interests,” the lawmaker said.
What We're Following See More »
After keeping the information private for most of the lead-up to the debate on Monday, it has been revealed that longtime Clinton aide Philippe Reines has been playing the role of Donald Trump in her debate prep. Reines knows Clinton better than most, able to identify both her strengths and weaknesses, and his selection for a sparring partner shows that Clinton is preparing for the brash and confrontational Donald Trump many have come to expect.
- A national Washington Post/ABC News poll shows Clinton leading Trump by just two points among likely voters, 46% to 44%.
- A national Bloomberg poll out Monday morning by Selzer & Co. has Clinton and Trump tied at 46% in a two-way race, and Trump ahead 43% to 41% in a four-way race.
- A CNN/ORC poll in Colorado shows likely voters’ support for Trump at 42%, 41% for Clinton, and a CNN/ORC poll in Pennsylvania has Clinton at 45% and Trump at 44%.
- A Portland Press Herald/UNH survey in Maine has Clinton leading Trump in ME-01 and Trump ahead in ME-02.
More than 30 times, in the case of some donors. Long before Cruz endorsed Trump—and before he even snubbed the nominee at the Republican National Convention—"the senator quietly began renting his vast donor email file to his former rival, pocketing at least tens of thousands of dollars, and more likely hundreds of thousands, that can be used to bankroll the Texan’s own political future."