Pentagon Seen Acquiescing to Congress on Land-Based Nuclear Missiles

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
April 9, 2014, 7:50 a.m.

The Pentagon ap­pears to have ac­ceded to the wishes of law­makers in re­tain­ing large num­bers of land-based mis­siles, says one nuc­le­ar ex­pert.

In its Tues­day an­nounce­ment on the im­ple­ment­a­tion of nuc­le­ar de­liv­ery vehicle re­duc­tions un­der the New START ac­cord with Rus­sia, the De­fense De­part­ment said it would keep its present ar­sen­al of 454 Minute­man 3 in­ter­con­tin­ent­al bal­list­ic mis­siles, though 54 of the weapons would be re­moved from their silos and placed in re­serve. Those emp­tied un­der­ground launch fa­cil­it­ies are to be kept in “warm” status, per­mit­ting their po­ten­tial us­age in the fu­ture.

The Pentagon’s de­cision fol­lows a con­cer­ted lob­by­ing push to lim­it cuts to the Minute­man ar­sen­al by a co­ali­tion of law­makers from Montana, North Dakota and Wyom­ing — the three states that host the mis­sile silos, the As­so­ci­ated Press re­por­ted.

“This de­cision ap­pears to have more to do with the [Obama] ad­min­is­tra­tion sur­ren­der­ing to the ICBM caucus [in Con­gress] than with stra­tegic con­sid­er­a­tions about na­tion­al se­cur­ity,” wrote Fed­er­a­tion of Amer­ic­an Sci­ent­ists nuc­le­ar forces ana­lyst Hans Kristensen in an email to the news agency.

The New START pact re­quires the United States by 2018 to re­duce the total num­ber of de­ployed heavy bombers as well as stra­tegic land- and sea-based bal­list­ic mis­siles to 700 with an ad­di­tion­al 100 sys­tems al­lowed in re­serve.

By not mak­ing any cuts to its roughly 450 ICBM silos, the Pentagon has de­cided to make much deep­er cuts to its stock­pile of sub­mar­ine-launched bal­list­ic mis­siles — go­ing down to a total of 280 SLBMs from the present 336. While the sea-based fleet is more ex­pens­ive to main­tain than the oth­er two legs of the nuc­le­ar tri­ad, the sub­mar­ines are also seen as the most stra­tegic­ally valu­able be­cause they would be harder to elim­in­ate in a po­ten­tial first-strike, ac­cord­ing to AP.

Nev­er be­fore when the mil­it­ary has made cuts to its silo-based mis­siles have their launch fa­cil­it­ies been main­tained in standby status, said a high-rank­ing Pentagon of­fi­cial to journ­al­ists.

“The Obama ad­min­is­tra­tion’s de­cision to re­tain the 50 silos ‘re­duced’ un­der the New START treaty in­stead of des­troy­ing them is a dis­ap­point­ing new de­vel­op­ment that threatens to weak­en New START treaty im­ple­ment­a­tion and the ad­min­is­tra­tion’s arms re­duc­tion pro­file,” wrote Kristensen in a Thursday blog post.

Mean­while, law­makers from North Dakota, Wyom­ing and Montana praised the Pentagon’s de­cision in a flurry of press re­leases.

What We're Following See More »
IT’S OFFICIAL
Trump to Nominate Carson to Lead HUD
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

As has been rumored for a week, Donald Trump will nominate Ben Carson, his former rival, to lead the Department of Housing and Urban Development. In a statement, Trump said, "We have talked at length about my urban renewal agenda and our message of economic revival, very much including our inner cities. Ben shares my optimism about the future of our country and is part of ensuring that this is a Presidency representing all Americans. He is a tough competitor and never gives up."

Source:
TOO COSTLY, SAYS GREEN PARTY
Stein Drops Pennsylvania Recount
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Supporters of Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein on Saturday withdrew a last-ditch lawsuit in Pennsylvania state court aimed at forcing a statewide ballot recount, another major setback in the effort to verify the votes in three states that provided President-elect Donald Trump his margin of victory. Ms. Stein’s campaign announced in a statement Saturday that the Pennsylvania lawsuit had been dropped after the court demanded that a $1 million bond be posted by the 100 Pennsylvania residents who brought the suit."

Source:
ANOTHER MORNING TWEETSTORM
Trump Threatens 35% Tariff on Companies that Move Overseas
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

In a series of early-morning tweets on Sunday, Donald Trump threatened companies that attempt to relocate out of the country. "Any business that leaves our country for another country, fires its employees, builds a new factory or plant in the other country, and then thinks it will sell its product back into the U.S. without retribution or consequence, is WRONG!," he wrote. "There will be a tax on our soon to be strong border of 35% for these companies."

Source:
EASEMENT DENIED
Army Corps Stopping Work on Dakota Pipeline
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"The Army Corps of Engineers has decided to deny the easement for the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline, the National Congress of American Indians said in a statement Sunday. The decision would essentially halt the construction of the oil pipeline right above the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation and it also comes as demonstrators across the country flocked to North Dakota in protest."

Source:
LOSES REFERENDUM VOTE
Italian Prime Minister to Step Down
2 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi will submit his resignation today, after a referendum vote went against his side. The development represents yet another win for populism around the globe, as the populist 5 Stars Movement, Renzi's chief rivals, took 60 percent of the vote. Renzi claimed the reforms "were vital to modernize Italy."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login