President Obama Officially Nominates Kathleen Sebelius’s Replacement

The president announced Sylvia Mathews Burwell as his nominee to be the next Health and Human Services secretary Friday.

President Obama names Sylvia Mathews Burwell, his current budget director, to replace Heath and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington on April 11, 2014.
National Journal
April 11, 2014, 7:49 a.m.

Pres­id­ent Obama took an­oth­er health care vic­tory lap Fri­day while an­noun­cing the resig­na­tion of Health and Hu­man Ser­vices Sec­ret­ary Kath­leen Se­beli­us.

Obama praised Se­beli­us in a Rose Garden ad­dress, as he form­ally nom­in­ated budget chief Sylvia Math­ews Bur­well to be the next HHS sec­ret­ary.

Se­beli­us led HHS through the im­ple­ment­a­tion of the pres­id­ent’s sig­na­ture health law, and faced tough cri­ti­cism after the on­line portal to sign up for the new health plans struggled to get off the ground last fall.

But the at­mo­sphere Fri­day was cel­eb­rat­ory of Se­beli­us’s time in of­fice, and the pres­id­ent touted her suc­cess in turn­ing around Health­Care.gov and get­ting 7.5 mil­lion people signed up for cov­er­age.

“Yes, we lost the first quarter of the open en­roll­ment peri­od be­cause of the prob­lems with Health­Care.go — and they were prob­lems. But un­der Kath­leen’s lead­er­ship, her team and HHS turned the corner.”¦ The fi­nal score speaks for it­self,” Obama said.

Se­beli­us said she was proud of the “tre­mend­ous pro­gress” the de­part­ment has made des­pite the leg­al and le­gis­lat­ive battles the law has faced over the past four years.

“I got to be a lead­er of HHS dur­ing these most his­tor­ic times,” Se­beli­us said. “We are on the front lines of a long over­due na­tion­al change, fix­ing a broken health sys­tem.

“I knew it wouldn’t be easy. There’s a reas­on that no earli­er pres­id­ent was suc­cess­ful in passing health re­form.”

Bur­well is in­her­it­ing the de­part­ment as chal­lenges re­main head­ing in­to the law’s second year. Some con­sumers are still try­ing to get signed up, and Health­Care.gov isn’t out of the red, with some re­pairs re­main­ing.

The White House has ex­pressed con­fid­ence in Bur­well as a man­ager and lead­er to take the helm dur­ing the health law’s next phase. Chief of Staff Denis Mc­Donough said in an in­ter­view with The New York Times that the pres­id­ent se­lec­ted Bur­well be­cause she is “a proven man­ager and re­lent­less im­ple­menter.” Bur­well has served as the dir­ect­or of the Of­fice of Man­age­ment and Budget for a year.

Se­beli­us is ex­pec­ted to re­main with the de­part­ment dur­ing the trans­ition peri­od. Bur­well must be con­firmed by a ma­jor­ity vote in the Sen­ate, which de­parts today for spring re­cess and is not sched­uled to re­turn un­til April 28.

It’s un­clear wheth­er Bur­well will face strong op­pos­i­tion from Re­pub­lic­ans, who have had is­sues with sev­er­al oth­er nom­in­ees this year.

But Bur­well sailed through the Sen­ate last year on a 96-0 vote to be­come head of OMB, and she has already re­ceived the sup­port of some con­ser­vat­ive sen­at­ors, such as  Re­pub­lic­an John Mc­Cain of Ari­zona, who tweeted his con­grat­u­la­tions fol­low­ing re­ports late Thursday that she was the pres­id­ent’s next pick.

What We're Following See More »
ON VERMONT RADIO
Bernie Sanders Declares Bid
1 hours ago
THE DETAILS
Source:
HE PLANNED TO LEAVE ONCE BARR WAS CONFIRMED
Rosenstein to Leave DOJ in March
10 hours ago
THE LATEST
SUIT LED BY CALIFORNIA AG BECERRA
Sixteen States Sue Trump over Emergency Declaration
10 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"A coalition of 16 states filed a federal lawsuit Monday to block President Trump’s plan to build a border wall without permission from Congress, arguing that the president’s decision to declare a national emergency is unconstitutional. The lawsuit, brought by states with Democratic governors — except one, Maryland — seeks a preliminary injunction that would prevent the president from acting on his emergency declaration while the case plays out in the courts."

Source:
CITES FAMILY CONCERNS
Nauert Withdraws from Consideration as U.N. Ambassador
11 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"President Trump’s pick to serve as ambassador to the United Nations withdrew from consideration on Saturday, citing family concerns. His intended nominee, Heather Nauert, a spokeswoman at the State Department since 2017, said in a statement that 'the past two months have been grueling for my family and therefore it is in the best interest of my family that I withdraw my name from consideration.' Ms. Nauert dropped from the running because she had a nanny who was in the United States legally but did not have the proper work visa, according to people familiar with the process."

Source:
AVOIDS SHUTDOWN WITH A FEW HOURS TO SPARE
Trump Signs Border Deal
3 days ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump signed a sweeping spending bill Friday afternoon, averting another partial government shutdown. The action came after Trump had declared a national emergency in a move designed to circumvent Congress and build additional barriers at the southern border, where he said the United States faces 'an invasion of our country.'"

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login