Rep. Tom Petri, a Wisconsin moderate who is the House’s third-most-senior Republican, is announcing on Monday that he will not run this fall for another term.
The news was posted Friday afternoon on Petri’s congressional website. The posting said the 73-year-old lawmaker will make the announcement at a town-hall meeting in Neenah, Wis.
The 18-term congressman will be the 24th House member to announce retirement this year, and the 14th Republican to do so.
Only Reps. Don Young of Alaska and Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin have more seniority than Petri among House Republicans.
When Petri ran for the House in 1979, he beat Republican Tommy Thompson, then a state legislator, in the primary 35 percent to 19 percent, according to The Almanac of American Politics. Petri went on to win the special general election to succeed veteran GOP Rep. William Steiger.
Petri has since established a centrist voting record in the House, though he generally has aligned with his party against most of President Obama’s major fiscal initiatives.
Over the years, some of his moderate stances are seen as having cost Petri his efforts to chair committees. For instance, after Democrats won control of the House in 2006, Petri was the most-senior member on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee and hoped that he would assume the ranking Republican slot. The leadership passed him over for the more-partisan John Mica of Florida.
Rep. Steve Israel, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, couldn’t resist taking a shot at House Republicans about the announcement.
“This brings to 12 the number of potentially competitive open seats House Republicans must defend, compared to only three for Democrats, as moderate Republicans continue to flee this Republican Congress and its wrong priorities that put special interests ahead of the middle class,” Israel said in a statement.
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."