Boston Debates Banning Deadliest Pathogens From New Biolab

U.S. military biological laboratory personnel undergo decontamination during a 2007 exercise in California. Boston is set to convene a hearing this week on whether to ban the study of highly sensitive disease agents at a recently completed Boston University laboratory.
National Journal
Diane Barnes
Add to Briefcase
Diane Barnes
April 14, 2014, 10:36 a.m.

Bo­ston is set this week to de­bate wheth­er to ban a new, down­town biode­fense labor­at­ory from study­ing some of the world’s dead­li­est dis­ease agents.

A Wed­nes­day city coun­cil hear­ing is ex­pec­ted to con­sider a pro­posed city­wide pro­hib­i­tion on so-called “Biosafety Level 4” re­search, which can in­volve dis­eases for which there are no known cures. The ini­ti­at­ive marks the latest loc­al push­back against Bo­ston Uni­versity’s ef­fort to pur­sue the sens­it­ive patho­gen stud­ies at its re­cently com­pleted Na­tion­al Emer­ging In­fec­tious Dis­eases Labor­at­or­ies.

In his draft or­din­ance, Coun­cilor Charles Yan­cey said con­duct­ing such re­search at the site could en­able an agent such as Ebola or Mar­burg to es­cape in­to the city, either by ac­ci­dent or de­lib­er­ate ac­tion.

“I am not con­vinced we really need to in­vite that pos­sib­il­ity to the city of Bo­ston,” Yan­cey told the Bo­ston Globe in re­marks pub­lished in a Sunday ed­it­or­i­al.

Bo­ston Uni­versity has cri­ti­cized the ra­tionale be­hind the coun­cil meas­ure, ar­guing that the labor­at­ory’s se­cur­ity is strin­gent and any sens­it­ive re­search jus­ti­fied by the need to pre­pare against leth­al dis­ease agents.

A four-year risk study “con­sidered hun­dreds of pos­sible scen­ari­os that could po­ten­tially res­ult in an ex­pos­ure of a work­er to a patho­gen, or the re­lease of a bio­lo­gic­al agent [and] demon­strated con­clus­ively that BSL-4 labor­at­or­ies — built with mul­tiple backup re­dund­an­cies for its op­er­a­tions sys­tems — are ex­tremely safe,” the uni­versity said in a state­ment last month.

Sunday’s Globe ed­it­or­i­al sides with the school, and ar­gues that the site’s loc­a­tion would fa­cil­it­ate col­lab­or­a­tion with ex­perts throughout the re­gion.

“It’s un­der­stand­able why crit­ics of the bio­lab might prefer that the re­search take place in an isol­ated fa­cil­ity … [but that] would im­pede sci­ent­ists’ abil­ity to learn from one an­oth­er,” the news­pa­per said.

What We're Following See More »
NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
4 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
COMMISSIONERS NEED TO DELIBERATE MORE
FCC Pushes Vote on Set-Top Boxes
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

"Federal regulators on Thursday delayed a vote on a proposal to reshape the television market by freeing consumers from cable box rentals, putting into doubt a plan that has pitted technology companies against cable television providers. ... The proposal will still be considered for a future vote. But Tom Wheeler, chairman of the F.C.C., said commissioners needed more discussions."

Source:
UNTIL DEC. 9, ANYWAY
Obama Signs Bill to Fund Government
9 hours ago
THE LATEST
REDSKINS IMPLICATIONS
SCOTUS to Hear Case on Offensive Trademarks
9 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

"The Supreme Court is taking up a First Amendment clash over the government’s refusal to register offensive trademarks, a case that could affect the Washington Redskins in their legal fight over the team name. The justices agreed Thursday to hear a dispute involving an Asian-American rock band called the Slants, but they did not act on a separate request to hear the higher-profile Redskins case at the same time." Still, any precedent set by the case could have ramifications for the Washington football team.

Source:
STAFF PICKS
Bannon Still Collecting Royalties from ‘Seinfeld’
11 hours ago
WHY WE CARE

The Hollywood Reporter takes a look at a little-known intersection of politics and entertainment, in which Trump campaign CEO Steve Bannon is still raking in residuals from Seinfeld. Here's the digest version: When Seinfeld was in its infancy, Ted Turner was in the process of acquiring its production company, Castle Rock, but he was under-capitalized. Bannon's fledgling media company put up the remaining funds, and he agreed to "participation rights" instead of a fee. "Seinfeld has reaped more than $3 billion in its post-network afterlife through syndication deals." Meanwhile, Bannon is "still cashing checks from Seinfeld, and observers say he has made nearly 25 times more off the Castle Rock deal than he had anticipated."

Source:
×