An Iranian official said Russian energy-trade talks faced an uphill battle, amid global fears about possible implications for nuclear sanctions, Reuters reports.
“The negotiation is continuing” between Moscow and Tehran, Iranian Deputy Oil Minister Ali Majedi said in Monday comments quoted by the wire agency. He added, though, that the discussion “is very difficult because both countries are producers and exporters of oil and gas.”
The official raised the concern as the sides discussed a range of trade options, including a potential pact under which Russia could swap nonmonetary assets for as much as 500,000 barrels of Iranian oil each day.
The Obama administration has said such an arrangement would run counter to language in a six-month deal it hopes will set the stage for longer-term limits on Iran’s weapon-usable nuclear operations. Washington and its allies are trying to maintain economic pressure against Tehran as they bargain over what nuclear restrictions the Persian Gulf power could accept in exchange for sanctions relief.
Majedi said, “Russia is a producer and exporter of oil … [and] there is no way that Iran will receive some of the oil from Russia. Maybe vice-versa, maybe. But not now.”
The deputy oil minister added that his country expects to hold its daily petroleum sales to other countries at roughly 1 million barrels into July, when the interim atomic accord is currently slated to lapse, Bloomberg reported. Iran’s production of unrefined oil now stands at approximately 2.7 million barrels each day, he said.
Western powers have set a 1 million-barrel limit on Iran’s average daily exports for the six-month pact’s full duration which, if exceeded, could trigger new sanctions. Sales reportedly have topped the anticipated cap since the deal took effect in January, but the Obama administration has said it expects Iran’s shipments ultimately to fall within agreed boundaries under the pact.
What We're Following See More »
"The Trump administration is ending a humanitarian program that has allowed some 59,000 Haitians to live and work in the United States since an earthquake ravaged their country in 2010, Homeland Security officials said on Monday. Haitians with what is known as Temporary Protected Status will be expected to leave the United States by July 2019 or face deportation. ... About 320,000 people now benefit from the Temporary Protected Status program, which was signed into law by President George Bush in 1990."
"A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities. U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the executive order applies only to a relatively small pot of money and said Trump cannot set new conditions on spending approved by Congress. The judge had previously made the same arguments in a ruling that put a temporary hold on the executive order."