The Pentagon on Monday criticized a Russian jet’s repeated buzzing of a U.S. antimissile ship sailing in international waters in the Black Sea.
The action happened on Sunday and involved a nuclear-capable — but unarmed — Su-24 fighter aircraft that made a total of 12 flying passes close to the Aegis-equipped USS Donald Cook while it conducted patrol operations in the western Black Sea, the Defense Department told reporters.
“The aircraft did not respond to multiple queries and warnings from Donald Cook, and the event ended without incident after approximately 90 minutes,” department spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren was quoted as saying in a Pentagon press story. “This provocative and unprofessional Russian action is inconsistent with international protocols and previous agreements on the professional interaction between our militaries.”
A second Su-24 accompanied the first Russian fighter jet but did not make any passes, Warren said.
The U.S. missile destroyer was redeployed to the Black Sea in recent days in accordance with the Pentagon’s efforts to assure NATO members and other countries of a U.S. commitment to their security. The ship’s deployment comes amid continuing tensions with Russia over Moscow’s annexation of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula and suspected involvement in insurgent actions in the eastern part of the country.
The USS Donald Cook is home-ported in Rota, Spain, and is the first of four Aegis ships slated for deployment in the Mediterranean as part of the U.S. contribution to NATO missile defense.
“The Donald Cook is more than capable of defending itself against two Su-24s,” Warren said.
The Russian defense ministry last week spoke out against the deployment of the warship to the Black Sea, saying it demonstrated that U.S. antimissile systems in Europe are aimed at undermining Russia’s nuclear deterrent.
Warren suggested the Su-24 pilots were acting with some form of approval from the Russian military. “I would have difficulty believing that two Russian pilots, on their own, would choose to take such an action,” the spokesman said.
- 1 The 1 Easy Way Donald Trump Could Have Been Even Richer: Doing Nothing
- 2 Red-State Senate Democrats Make Their Play for Trump Voters
- 3 Race Is on to Add Another Woman to House GOP Leadership
- 4 Trump’s Interior Pick Poised to Shift Policy on Energy, Public Lands
- 5 Insurers Press GOP for Stable Market During Obamacare Repeal
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.