Syria supplied an international watchdog with more chemical-arms inventory data after monitors found inaccuracies in an earlier declaration, Reuters reports.
Syrian President Bashar Assad’s government pledged to surrender its chemical-warfare materials amid accusations that it used sarin nerve agent in a large-scale assault on the edge of Damascus last August. The regime offered a rundown of its arsenal to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons last year, but governments since then have highlighted concerns over inconsistencies between that filing and assets later found inside the conflict-torn country, the wire service reported on Thursday.
Insiders said the Syrian government’s initial declaration included only approximate quantities of the warfare chemicals in storage at installations across the Middle Eastern nation.
According to one envoy, “discrepancies” emerged between numbers in that document and amounts seen by auditors for a U.N.-OPCW oversight operation.
Michael Luhan, a spokesman for the global chemical-weapons agency, verified that the Assad regime had submitted additional information on its arsenal.
“For some of the stockpile, ranges of quantities had been provided. Now they are being replaced with specific amounts,” he said.
Luhan said the more exact quantities became known as international officials reviewed the materials and prepared them for shipment to a coastal pickup point. Foreign cargo vessels are transporting the materials from Syria’s Latakia seaport to international destruction sites.
The spokesman said the latest filing includes no materials that previously went unreported. Last year, Damascus indicated it held about 1,300 metric tons of chemical-warfare agents and ingredients.
One OPCW insider downplayed the new document’s significance.
“Sometimes information is not complete, or not in a format we require. It’s not extraordinary,” according to the source. “But what they have submitted needs to be seen to come to any conclusions and I better not speculate about what’s in there.”
What We're Following See More »
Donald Trump, when pressed by Lester Holt on why he finally admitted that President Obama was born in America, repeated his widely debunked claim that it was started by Hillary Clinton.
Hillary Clinton went point by point on how race can so often determine the treatment that people receive, mentioning recent shootings in Tulsa and Charlotte, calling for restored trust between communities and police, and demanding criminal justice reform. Trump responded by calling for law and order and touting his endorsements from police unions. He then said that “African Americans are living in hell,” saying they are just walking down the street and getting “shot ... being decimated by crime."
Just as Hillary Clinton was inviting debate viewers to visit her site for real-time fact checking, there appeared to be a problem with Donald Trump's own campaign website. For about a 15-minute period, a blank page or an error message appeared when we tried to load the Trump site.
Donald Trump has come out in the first segment of this debate raring to go. Trump has interrupted nearly every answer being given by Hillary Clinton, talking over her time and again. Clinton is sticking to her guns, smiling while Trump speaks and then calling on people to go to her website and see the fact checking being done.
Each candidate opened the debate sticking to their campaign's script. Hillary Clinton opened with a call for how to affect the future while Donald Trump spoke about many of the plights being faced by American workers today. Clinton discussed innovation, helping small business, and equal pay for women. Trump, in turn, discussed how jobs are leaving America, calling our country the "piggy bank" for other nations.