Nuclear Commander: Less-Than-Perfect Test Scores Will Do

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
April 21, 2014, 9:19 a.m.

The Air Force will move away from im­pli­citly re­quir­ing per­fect test scores from its nuc­le­ar mis­sile-launch of­ficers, the Wyom­ing Tribune Eagle re­ports.

The ser­vice form­ally re­quires a score of 90 per­cent for its mis­sileers to pass routine tests for cer­ti­fic­a­tion to serve in un­der­ground launch-con­trol cen­ters for the U.S. ar­sen­al of 450 Minute­man 3 in­ter­con­tin­ent­al bal­list­ic mis­siles. However, there has of­ten been a ta­cit un­der­stand­ing in the ser­vice’s nuc­le­ar-mis­sile branch that of­ficers had to score 100 per­cent on the tests or risk see­ing their ca­reer pro­spects di­min­ished.

Air Force lead­ers have blamed that so-called “cul­ture of per­fec­tion” for mo­tiv­at­ing dozens of young launch-con­trol of­ficers to cheat on the ex­ams — or look the oth­er way when their col­leagues cheated. An of­fi­cial in­vest­ig­a­tion in­to test-tak­ing mis­con­duct at Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont., res­ul­ted in the ser­vice last month fir­ing a num­ber of mid-level of­ficers at the base for fail­ing to suf­fi­ciently su­per­vise the of­ficers be­neath them.

The com­mand­er of the 20th Air Force, which over­sees all Minute­man 3 mis­siles, told the Tribune Eagle that he is work­ing to shift how “per­fect” is con­strued. Still, he said the pub­lic should con­tin­ue to ex­pect that nuc­le­ar mis­siles will be handled without er­ror.

“You don’t have to be per­fect in test­ing, and you don’t have to be per­fect in train­ing,” Maj. Gen. Jack Wein­stein said. “But you do have to be per­fect when you are do­ing the mis­sion.”

The two-star gen­er­al said 350 re­com­mend­a­tions on how to im­prove the ICBM mis­sion have been re­ceived as part of an ex­pans­ive study that sur­veyed Air Force nuc­le­ar-mis­sile of­ficers and work crews. Wein­stein said he and oth­er ser­vice brass ac­cept nearly all of the re­com­mend­a­tions.

The test-cheat­ing rev­el­a­tions “may be a tough pill to swal­low, but I really be­lieve that with everything that has happened, good is go­ing to come out of this and make us stronger,” he said.

What We're Following See More »
HE LASTED SIX MONTHS
Sean Spicer Resigns
33 minutes ago
THE LATEST

He resigned this morning, "telling President Trump he vehemently disagreed with the appointment of New York financier Anthony Scaramucci as communications director."

Source:
STAFF IS PUSHING BACK
Trump Wants Scaramucci to Helm WH Communications
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"President Trump is expected to announce that Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci will be White House communications director, according to two sources familiar with the planning. Trump has left the role open since Mike Dubke resigned in May, and the President has vented frequently to his friends about the performance of his press operation." According to NBC News, Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus are resisting the move.

Source:
NEW GALLUP POLL
Trump’s Approval Rating a Record Low at 6-Month Point
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"President Donald Trump's second-quarter job approval rating has fallen below what any other past president has gotten during the same time frame. A new Gallup poll found that Trump averaged a 38.8% rating between April 20 and July 19. The average approval rating for that time is 62%. President Obama was at the average during this time period, as was President Nixon. President Clinton is the only president who was below 50% by the second quarter, coming in with a 44% approval rating." There is also a large partisan gap. "Just 8% of Democrats approved of Trump's job performance during the second quarter, but 85% of Republicans did. Approval ratings have become increasingly polarized in recent administrations, but the 77-point gap for Trump is a new record."

Source:
ANNOUNCEMENT IMMINENT
Government to Bar Americans from Visiting N. Korea
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"The US government will soon prohibit American citizens from traveling to North Korea, according to two tour groups that cater to Western tourists who want to visit the secretive country. The US will announce the ban within a couple of days, said Simon Cockerell, general manager of Beijing-based Koryo Tours. The agency was informed of the development by officials of the Swedish government, which represents America's interests in North Korea, he told CNN."

Source:
NEA AND NEH GET $145 MIL EACH
House Appropriations Ignore Trump’s Proposed Arts Cuts
3 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Federal arts and humanities programs targeted for elimination by the Trump administration would get a lifeline from House appropriators willing to ignore the president’s proposal and keep them running. The $31.5 billion fiscal 2018 Interior-Environment spending bill approved by the House Appropriations Committee on Tuesday includes $145 million for the National Endowment for the Arts. While that’s still a 3.2 percent cut from the fiscal year 2017 enacted level, it is more than $116 million above Trump’s budget request. The National Endowment for the Humanities would receive $145 million in fiscal 2018, which is $103.7 million above the White House budget request."

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login