Syria Gas Claims Mount as World Races to Respond

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
April 23, 2014, 6:58 a.m.

Syr­ia’s op­pos­i­tion ac­cused the coun­try’s re­gime of drop­ping chlor­ine-loaded bar­rel bombs on two towns this week, NBC News re­ports.

Loc­al politi­cians and act­iv­ists charged Pres­id­ent Bashar As­sad’s forces with car­ry­ing out a Monday strike on the Syr­i­an vil­lage of Telminnes and a Tues­day as­sault on the Daria com­munity neigh­bor­ing Dam­as­cus. The in­cid­ents re­portedly oc­curred with­in a day of each oth­er as gov­ern­ments at­temp­ted to sub­stan­ti­ate a string of al­leged tox­ic-gas at­tacks in the vi­ol­ence-racked Middle East­ern na­tion.

Par­ti­cipants in Syr­ia’s 3-year-old civil war have re­por­ted no few­er than sev­en gas strikes in the coun­try since April 11, the Lon­don Tele­graph re­por­ted. Monday’s pos­sible at­tack was said to have killed at least one child, ac­cord­ing to the news­pa­per. Wit­nesses coun­ted no deaths from Tues­day’s al­leged in­cid­ent, but de­scribed vic­tims with some­times severe breath­ing dif­fi­culties, NBC News re­por­ted.

Ex­perts said the claims ap­peared to re­flect the use of chlor­ine as part of a con­cer­ted of­fens­ive strategy, with in­creas­ing in­dic­a­tions that the gov­ern­ment is re­spons­ible, Re­u­ters re­por­ted.

As­sad’s re­gime, though, has blamed any chlor­ine re­leases on rebel fight­ers. The com­mon in­dus­tri­al sub­stance is not part of the chem­ic­al-war­fare stock­pile the gov­ern­ment has largely re­lin­quished un­der an agree­ment reached last year, fol­low­ing a large-scale nerve agent re­lease in a Dam­as­cus sub­urb.

Wash­ing­ton has not yet veri­fied spe­cif­ics about the latest al­leged at­tacks, but “the use of any tox­ic chem­ic­al with the in­tent to cause death or harm is a clear vi­ol­a­tion of the [Chem­ic­al Weapons] Con­ven­tion” signed by Dam­as­cus last year, State De­part­ment spokes­wo­man Jen Psaki told re­port­ers on Tues­day.

The Or­gan­iz­a­tion for the Pro­hib­i­tion of Chem­ic­al Weapons on Tues­day said it was be­gin­ning a pre­lim­in­ary re­view of the re­por­ted at­tacks ahead of a po­ten­tial form­al probe, the Wall Street Journ­al re­por­ted.

A Brit­ish gov­ern­ment source, though, said “you can’t ask for in­vest­ig­a­tions un­til you ac­cu­mu­late and present evid­ence,” the Tele­graph re­por­ted.

What We're Following See More »
TURNING OVER 3,000 RUSSIAN ADS
Facebook to Cooperate with Congress
2 hours ago
WHY WE CARE
CALLS HIM A “FRIEND OF MINE”
Trump Praises Erdogan
2 hours ago
THE DETAILS
INFORMS CONGRESS RE: EXECUTIVE ORDER
Trump Makes Good on Promise of New North Korea Sanctions
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

President Trump this afternoon announced another round of sanctions on North Korea, calling the regime "a continuing threat." The executive order, which Trump relayed to Congress, bans any ship or plane that has visited North Korea from visiting the United States within 180 days. The order also authorizes sanctions on any financial institution doing business with North Korea, and permits the secretaries of State and the Treasury to sanction any person involved in trading with North Korea, operating a port there, or involved in a variety of industries there.

SUED FOR SIMILAR DESIGN
Ivanka to Court Over $785 Sandals
5 hours ago
THE DETAILS
DOESN’T KNOW WHEN
Trump Says He’ll Visit Puerto Rico
7 hours ago
THE DETAILS

"Seated next to Ukrainian President Poroshenko on his final day of meetings at the United Nations, Trump did not say when he might go to Puerto Rico, but spoke solemnly about the destruction to an island he said had been 'absolutely obliterated.'”

Source:
×
×

Welcome to National Journal!

You are currently accessing National Journal from IP access. Please login to access this feature. If you have any questions, please contact your Dedicated Advisor.

Login