U.S. Overseers Fault Nuclear-Waste Practices for New Mexico Leak

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
Global Security Newswire Staff
April 24, 2014, 9:19 a.m.

Fed­er­al ex­perts blamed shoddy pre­cau­tions and ad­min­is­trat­ive prac­tices for a leak at a New Mex­ico nuc­le­ar-waste site, the As­so­ci­ated Press re­ports.

A “de­grad­a­tion of key safety man­age­ment and safety cul­ture” was cent­ral to the Feb. 14 con­tam­in­a­tion breach at the Waste Isol­a­tion Pi­lot Plant, said Ted Wyka, head of the En­ergy De­part­ment Ac­ci­dent In­vest­ig­a­tion Board. He dis­cussed pan­el find­ings that were sched­uled for pub­lic­a­tion on Thursday.

“The bot­tom line is they failed to be­lieve ini­tial in­dic­a­tions of the re­lease,” Wyka said.

The site’s sub­ter­ranean tun­nels have re­mained off-lim­its to most per­son­nel fol­low­ing the in­cid­ent, which took place days after an un­re­lated vehicle fire. An ad­vance crew on Wed­nes­day re-entered a stor­age area where es­caped ra­dio­act­ive ma­ter­i­al had been loc­ated last week, but the group did not find any in­dic­a­tion that a ceil­ing had fallen or a waste bar­rel had rup­tured.

Per­son­nel took more than 10 hours to re­act to the ini­tial alert in Feb­ru­ary, and a vent­il­a­tion mech­an­ism al­lowed un­filtered air to pass out of the fa­cil­ity, ac­cord­ing to the En­ergy De­part­ment as­sess­ment. In­vest­ig­at­ors faul­ted fol­low-up ac­tions by the de­part­ment, as well as the site’s emer­gency pre­pared­ness, re­pair sched­ule, and a lack of plans for pla­cing con­tam­in­a­tion sensors.

De­fense Nuc­le­ar Fa­cil­it­ies Safety Board Chair­man Peter Winok­ur said 100 times more ra­di­ation might have drif­ted above ground had work­ers not re­act­iv­ated a warn­ing sys­tem dis­abled for roughly six days after the fire, the Wall Street Journ­al re­por­ted on Wed­nes­day.

An En­ergy De­part­ment spokes­wo­man said the agency “is as­sess­ing all as­pects” of the fire and leak, and an­ti­cip­ates “some sig­ni­fic­ant changes.”

Bob Mc­Quinn, head of the con­tract firm Nuc­le­ar Waste Part­ner­ship, ac­know­ledged faults in the re­sponse moun­ted by the fa­cil­ity’s op­er­at­or, AP re­por­ted. He af­firmed that re­forms be­ing made in ad­min­is­trat­ive pro­ced­ures, per­son­nel pre­par­a­tions and oth­er activ­it­ies would “as­sure that every haz­ard that is posed by WIPP is ex­amined.”

What We're Following See More »
FLINT FUNDING STILL AT ISSUE
Spending Bill Fails to Clear 60-Vote Hurdle
2 hours ago
THE LATEST
SURPASSED 80 MILLION VIEWERS
Monday’s Debate Was Most Watched Ever
2 hours ago
DEBATE UPDATE
‘WASN’T PREPARED’
Hill Republicans Don’t Like What They See in Debate
2 hours ago
THE LATEST

"It was obvious he wasn't prepared." “He only mentioned her email scandal once." "I think he took things a little too personal and missed a lot of opportunities to make very good debate points." That's just a smattering of the reactions of some elected Republicans to Donald Trump's debate performance.

Source:
MOST WATCHED EVER?
Little Ratings Drop-Off from Beginning to End of Debate
4 hours ago
THE LATEST

The conventional wisdom is already emerging that Donald Trump opened last night's debate well, but that he faded badly down the stretch. And most viewers apparently witnessed it. "The early Nielsen data confirms that viewership stayed high the entire time. Contrary to some speculation, there was not a big drop-off after the first hour of the 98-minute debate." Final data is still being tallied, but "Monday's face-off may well have been the most-watched debate in American history. CNN and other cable news channels saw big increases over past election years. So did some of the broadcast networks."

Source:
FUNDING RUNS OUT ON FRIDAY
Federal Agencies Prepare for Govt Shutdown
6 hours ago
THE LATEST

As Congress continues to bicker on riders to a continuing resolution, federal agencies have started working with the Office of Management and Budget to prepare for a government shutdown, which will occur if no continuing resolution is passed by 11:59 p.m. on Friday night. The OMB held a call with agencies on Sept. 23, one that is required one week before a possible shutdown. The government last shut down for 16 days in 2013, and multiple shutdowns have been narrowly avoided since then. It is expected that Congress will reach a deal before the clock strikes midnight, but until it does, preparations will continue.

Source:
×