The United States has begun fielding a new missile interceptor that is planned in the short term to be deployed in Romania and the Mediterranean.
The U.S. Navy is now deploying the Standard Missile 3 Block 1B interceptor, which is designed to destroy short- and medium-range ballistic missiles, producer Raytheon Co. announced in a Wednesday press release.
“The SM-3 Block 1B’s completion of initial operational testing last year set the stage for a rapid deployment to theater,” Raytheon Missile Systems President Taylor Lawrence said in provided comments. “The SM-3’s highly successful test performance gives combatant commanders around the world the confidence they need to counter the growing ballistic missile threat.”
But the future of the second-generation interceptor includes some uncertainty. The Pentagon’s Missile Defense Agency recently revealed to Inside Defense that it had decided to postpone for one year plans to seek congressional approval for a multiyear production deal with Raytheon. The decision came after the agency determined it cannot yet show a reliable funding stream for the Block 1B missile, a sustained military need or a stable design.
A recent report by Congress’ internal auditor recommended delaying full production until it is determined whether changes to the missile interceptor’s design are warranted, following an intercept attempt last year in which a launched Block 1B failed to perform.
The Block 1B missile is slated for deployment on four Aegis-equipped U.S. missile destroyers home-ported in Rota, Spain, and beginning in 2015 at a site currently under construction in Romania.
The planned fieldings form the second phase of the Obama administration’s “phased adaptive approach” for European missile defense.
The final phase of the plan will involve fielding an even more-advanced SM-3 interceptor in Poland in the 2018-2020 timeframe.
The antimissile systems will be incorporated into an evolving NATO ballistic-missile shield that has been portrayed as defending against a possible missile attack from the Middle East. More recently, though, some Eastern European alliance members have suggested the system could become a means of deterring a newly militarily resurgent Russia.
What We're Following See More »
"The Senate standstill over a stopgap spending bill appeared headed toward a resolution on Friday night. Senators who were holding up the measure said votes are expected later in the evening. West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin had raised objections to the continuing resolution because it did not include a full year's extension of retired coal miners' health benefits," but Manchin "said he and other coal state Democrats agreed with Senate Democratic leaders during a caucus meeting Thursday that they would not block the continuing resolution, but rather use the shutdown threat as a way to highlight the health care and pension needs of the miners."
Donald Trump transition team announced Friday afternoon that top supporter Rudy Giuliani has taken himself out of the running to be in Trump's cabinet, though CNN previously reported that it was Trump who informed the former New York City mayor that he would not be receiving a slot. While the field had seemingly been narrowed last week, it appears to be wide open once again, with ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson the current favorite.
The House has completed it's business for 2016 by passing a spending bill which will keep the government funded through April 28. The final vote tally was 326-96. The bill's standing in the Senate is a bit tenuous at the moment, as a trio of Democratic Senators have pledged to block the bill unless coal miners get a permanent extension on retirement and health benefits. The government runs out of money on Friday night.
The Senate passed the National Defense Authorization Act today, sending the $618 billion measure to President Obama. The president vetoed the defense authorization bill a year ago, but both houses could override his disapproval this time around.