British Effort Banks on Women to Halt Would-Be Fighters Bound for Syria

Global Security Newswire Staff
Add to Briefcase
See more stories about...
Global Security Newswire Staff
April 24, 2014, 10:32 a.m.

U.K. au­thor­it­ies are tak­ing new steps — some fo­cused on wo­men — to pre­vent Bri­tons from head­ing to Syr­ia and par­tak­ing in the fight­ing there.

“We are in­creas­ingly con­cerned about about the num­bers of young people who have or are in­tend­ing to travel to Syr­ia to join the con­flict,” the New York Times quotes Helen Ball, a seni­or coun­terter­ror­ism of­ficer for the Met­ro­pol­it­an Po­lice, as say­ing on Thursday. “We want to en­sure that people, par­tic­u­larly wo­men, who are con­cerned about their loved ones are giv­en enough in­form­a­tion about what they can do to pre­vent this from hap­pen­ing.”

Ball said the ef­forts aimed at en­cour­aging in­di­vidu­als to share their con­cerns with au­thor­it­ies are not meant to “crim­in­al­ize people,” but rather to “pre­vent tra­gedies.”

As part of the new cam­paign, of­ficers plan to dis­trib­ute leaf­lets at Brit­ish ports warn­ing of the risks of en­ter­ing Syr­ia, the Times re­ports. Of­fi­cials will also ad­vise in­di­vidu­als who want to of­fer hu­man­it­ari­an as­sist­ance in the three-year-old civil war against trav­el­ing to the coun­try, ask­ing them to donate to aid groups in­stead.

The Brit­ish ef­forts come amid alarms bells be­ing soun­ded re­cently by coun­terter­ror­ism of­fi­cials in the United States and sev­er­al European gov­ern­ments. The of­fi­cials fear that West­ern cit­izens join­ing com­bat in Syr­ia will re­turn to their home coun­tries rad­ic­al­ized and trained in mil­it­ant tac­tics.

Dutch In­teri­or Min­is­ter Ron­ald Plasterk on Wed­nes­day re­gistered his coun­try’s con­cerns to that end. Two Dutch na­tion­als are be­lieved to have car­ried out sui­cide at­tacks in Ir­aq and Syr­ia, Re­u­ters re­por­ted.

What We're Following See More »
WITH LIVE BLOGGING
Trump Deposition Video Is Online
15 hours ago
STAFF PICKS

The video of Donald Trump's deposition in his case against restaurateur Jeffrey Zakarian is now live. Slate's Jim Newell and Josh Voorhees are live-blogging it while they watch.

Source:
SOUND LEVEL AFFECTED
Debate Commission Admits Issues with Trump’s Mic
16 hours ago
THE LATEST

The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.

Source:
TRUMP VS. CHEFS
Trump Deposition Video to Be Released
16 hours ago
THE LATEST

"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."

Source:
A CANDIDATE TO BE ‘PROUD’ OF
Chicago Tribune Endorses Gary Johnson
19 hours ago
THE LATEST

No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."

NEVER TRUMP
USA Today Weighs in on Presidential Race for First Time Ever
1 days ago
THE DETAILS

"By all means vote, just not for Donald Trump." That's the message from USA Today editors, who are making the first recommendation on a presidential race in the paper's 34-year history. It's not exactly an endorsement; they make clear that the editorial board "does not have a consensus for a Clinton endorsement." But they state flatly that Donald Trump is, by "unanimous consensus of the editorial board, unfit for the presidency."

Source:
×