In its contingency planning, Washington for the first time is treating North Korea as a nuclear-armed opponent, the New York Times reported on Thursday.
Specifics about the most recent revision of the “OpPlan 5029” strategy for a potential new Korean War are classified. Some unidentified officials talked to the newspaper about aspects of the “what-if” scenarios, which imagine a possibility for Pyongyang to build a simple atomic weapon and attempt to deliver it by ship or truck.
The development comes as Washington and its allies in East Asia steadfastly refuse to characterize North Korea as a nuclear-armed state.
U.S. intelligence officials do not think Pyongyang has developed the ability to miniaturize nuclear arms enough to fit on a ballistic missile. The North, however, could make headway in that respect if it test-detonates a fourth atomic device — as appears increasingly likely.
Behind closed doors, Obama administration officials are acknowledging the longtime policy of “strategic patience” toward North Korea has been unsuccessful, the Times reported.
“We have failed,” Evans Revere, a former senior official for East Asian issues in the George W. Bush administration, said in an interview. “For two decades our policy has been to keep the North Koreans from developing nuclear weapons. It’s now clear there is no way they will give them up. … So now what?”
A recent attempt by the National Security Council to develop a new plan for ending the North Korea nuclear impasse came up empty when it was determined that all other potential policy deviations were worse than the current posture, according to the Times.
“We’re stuck,” said one individual who took part in the review.
A move by ruler Kim Jong Un to focus more on mobile missiles instead of stationary ones has meant the United States has a harder time detecting when a missile firing is imminent. The launchers are routinely moved between tunnels, making them harder to monitor by satellite, defense officials said.
“He’s gone to school on how we operate,” said Army Gen. Curtis Scaparrotti, who commands U.S. forces on the Korean Peninsula.
- 1 Clinton Wins Debate, But Did She Win Over Voters?
- 2 Smart Ideas: The Most Important Election of a 96-Year-Old’s Lifetime; Clinton’s Pitch to Millennials
- 3 Senate Progressives Look to Flex Muscles in 2017
- 4 The District Where Democrats Want a Gun-Control Debate
- 5 The House Republicans Still Mum on Trump
What We're Following See More »
"It was obvious he wasn't prepared." “He only mentioned her email scandal once." "I think he took things a little too personal and missed a lot of opportunities to make very good debate points." That's just a smattering of the reactions of some elected Republicans to Donald Trump's debate performance.
The conventional wisdom is already emerging that Donald Trump opened last night's debate well, but that he faded badly down the stretch. And most viewers apparently witnessed it. "The early Nielsen data confirms that viewership stayed high the entire time. Contrary to some speculation, there was not a big drop-off after the first hour of the 98-minute debate." Final data is still being tallied, but "Monday's face-off may well have been the most-watched debate in American history. CNN and other cable news channels saw big increases over past election years. So did some of the broadcast networks."
As Congress continues to bicker on riders to a continuing resolution, federal agencies have started working with the Office of Management and Budget to prepare for a government shutdown, which will occur if no continuing resolution is passed by 11:59 p.m. on Friday night. The OMB held a call with agencies on Sept. 23, one that is required one week before a possible shutdown. The government last shut down for 16 days in 2013, and multiple shutdowns have been narrowly avoided since then. It is expected that Congress will reach a deal before the clock strikes midnight, but until it does, preparations will continue.