The United States had no immediate reaction to a lawsuit filed by a nation where it staged nuclear tests early in the Cold War, Reuters reports.
The Marshall Islands on Thursday announced legal actions against Washington and eight other governments it charged with “flagrant violation of international law,” and demanded action by the countries to comply with international disarmament commitments.
The plaintiff country pursued legal steps specifically against Washington at the Federal District Court in San Francisco, and against all nine known and presumed nuclear-capable nations at the International Court of Justice in The Hague, Netherlands.
The Marshall Islands provided no advance warning to the governments it is suing, the Associated Press reported. U.S. State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki did not respond on Thursday to a question on the legal steps, according to Reuters.
The 46-year-old Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty requires signatories in possession of atomic arsenals — China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States — to pursue “good faith” talks on nuclear disarmament.
In its case against the United States, the island republic called on Washington to act within 12 months of a possible favorable ruling “to comply with its obligations … including by calling for and convening negotiations for nuclear disarmament in all its aspects.”
The complainant said Israel, India, Pakistan and North Korea also are “bound by [the treaty’s] nuclear disarmament provisions under customary law,” even though they are not part of the nonproliferation regime.
The case prompted a skeptical initial reaction from Israel, which has neither confirmed nor denied possessing nuclear weapons.
Israeli foreign ministry spokesman Paul Hirschson said he had not reviewed details about the island nation’s legal actions, but suggested that its case against countries outside the Nonproliferation Treaty “doesn’t have any legal legs.”
What We're Following See More »
The Commission on Presidential Debates put out a statement today that gives credence to Donald Trump's claims that he had a bad microphone on Monday night. "Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," read the statement in its entirety.
"A video of Donald Trump testifying under oath about his provocative rhetoric about Mexicans and other Latinos is set to go public" as soon as today. "Trump gave the testimony in June at a law office in Washington in connection with one of two lawsuits he filed last year after prominent chefs reacted to the controversy over his remarks by pulling out of plans to open restaurants at his new D.C. hotel. D.C. Superior Court Judge Brian Holeman said in an order issued Thursday evening that fears the testimony might show up in campaign commercials were no basis to keep the public from seeing the video."
No matter that his recall of foreign leaders leaves something to be desired, Gary Johnson is the choice of the Chicago Tribune's editorial board. The editors argue that Donald Trump couldn't do the job of president, while hitting Hillary Clinton for "her intent to greatly increase federal spending and taxation, and serious questions about honesty and trust." Which leaves them with Johnson. "Every American who casts a vote for him is standing for principles," they write, "and can be proud of that vote. Yes, proud of a candidate in 2016."
Speaking at the funeral of former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres, President Obama "compared Peres to 'other giants of the 20th century' such as Nelson Mandela and Queen Elizabeth who 'find no need to posture or traffic in what's popular in the moment.'" Among the 6,000 mourners at the service was Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Obama called Abbas's presence a sign of the "unfinished business of peace" in the region.
Three million—a number that lays "bare the significant gap between Donald Trump’s bare-bones operation and the field program that Clinton and her hundreds of aides have been building for some 17 months."