China said it may limit its “counterproliferation” work with Washington over U.S. steps to punish an accused violator of Iran sanctions, Reuters reports.
China’s foreign ministry on Wednesday said Beijing “resolutely opposes” new U.S. actions to target Li Fangwei, a Chinese entrepreneur described by the Treasury Department as a “known proliferator for Iran’s ballistic missile program.” Treasury on Tuesday announced penalties against eight firms operated by Li, and the State Department announced a $5 million bounty in a bid to detain him, Reuters reported separately.
Federal prosecutors on Tuesday accused Li of evading prior U.S. penalties through an expanding array of front firms, the Wall Street Journal reported. They seized $6.9 million in money linked to the alleged proliferator, according to Reuters.
David Cohen, Treasury Department under secretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, said the United States “will continue vigorously to enforce [its] sanctions, even as we explore the possibility of a comprehensive deal addressing Iran’s nuclear program.”
Beijing is one of five governments working with Washington in an ongoing multilateral dialogue on Iran’s nuclear program. Washington and other Western governments hope the talks will lead to long-term limits on Iran’s weapon-usable nuclear activities, though Tehran insists its atomic intentions are peaceful.
“The U.S. [actions against Li] won’t help solve the problem and will also impair our nonproliferation cooperation,” the Journal quoted foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang as saying. “We urge the U.S. to stop sanctions of companies and individuals and come back to the right track of nonproliferation cooperation.”
He added that Beijing closely monitors its own trade rules and would “seriously deal” with any breaches, Reuters reported.
Li has asserted innocence in the past, but he was unavailable on Tuesday to respond to the latest U.S. actions.
What We're Following See More »
Since the release of the Access Hollywood tape, on which Donald Trump boasted of sexually assaulting women, "Senate Republicans have seen their fortunes dip, particularly in states like Florida, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Nevada and Pennsylvania," where Hillary Clinton now leads. Jennifer Duffy writes that she now expects Democrats to gain five to seven seats—enough to regain control of the chamber.
"Of the Senate seats in the Toss Up column, Trump only leads in Indiana and Missouri where both Republicans are running a few points behind him. ... History shows that races in the Toss Up column never split down the middle; one party tends to win the lion’s share of them."
"Some Republicans are running so far away from their party’s nominee that they are threatening to sue TV stations for running ads that suggest they support Donald Trump. Just two weeks before Election Day, five Republicans―Reps. Bob Dold (R-Ill.), Mike Coffman (R-Colo.), David Jolly (R-Fla.), John Katko (R-N.Y.) and Brian Fitzpatrick, a Pennsylvania Republican running for an open seat that’s currently occupied by his brother―contend that certain commercials paid for by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee provide false or misleading information by connecting them to the GOP nominee. Trump is so terrible, these Republicans are essentially arguing, that tying them to him amounts to defamation."
Former Illinois GOP Congressman Aaron Schock "recently agreed to pay a $10,000 fine for making an excessive solicitation for a super PAC that was active in his home state of Illinois four years ago." Schock resigned from Congress after a story about his Downton Abbey-themed congressional office raised questions about how he was using taxpayer dollars.
If you need a marker for how confident Hillary Clinton is at this point of the race, here's one: CNN's Jeff Zeleny reports "she's been talking to Republican senators, old allies and new, saying that she is willing to work with them and govern."
On Tuesday, President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines threatened to kick U.S. troops out of the country, adding that if he remains president for more than one term he will move to terminate all military deals with America. Last week, Duterte called for a separation between the two countries, though other government officials immediately said he did not mean that literally.