Specialists are questioning the feasibility of three U.S. factories being built to rapidly turn out drugs needed after an attack or disaster, Nature reports.
Certain analysts argued that few useful antidotes are currently available for responding to the types of biological and chemical events envisioned by the production facilities under preparation in Texas, North Carolina and Maryland, the journal reported on Tuesday. Observers also cast doubt on the utility of next-generation smallpox vaccines, as well as other drugs that may be produced at the so-called Centers for Innovation in Advanced Development and Manufacturing.
The United States is relatively unlikely to face a chemical or biological strike for which the factories would prove useful, argued Richard Ebright, a molecular biologist with Rutgers University. The Texas plant is slated to begin generating its first vaccine in the middle of this year, and federal officials plan in the next quarter-century to spend up to $2 billion on medical treatments from that single facility.
Philip Russell, a former biodefense adviser for the George W. Bush administration, suggested the United States should have built just one such production site for civilian and military needs, in line with a 2008 recommendation by the Pentagon’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.
“Rather than one good operation that meets the government’s needs, we got three operations that spread the money around,” Russell said of the $440 million initiative, launched in 2012 by the Health and Human Services Department.
The current plan’s backers, meanwhile, argued that operating several manufacturing plants would provide a fallback if one is compromised by a strike or release of hazardous material.
In addition to the three sites overseen by Health and Human Services, the Defense Department is constructing a $136 million factory in Florida to generate smaller quantities of biodefense products for armed-forces use. That site is expected to operate at an annual cost of $20 million following its scheduled launch in 2015.
What We're Following See More »
"The Trump administration is ending a humanitarian program that has allowed some 59,000 Haitians to live and work in the United States since an earthquake ravaged their country in 2010, Homeland Security officials said on Monday. Haitians with what is known as Temporary Protected Status will be expected to leave the United States by July 2019 or face deportation. ... About 320,000 people now benefit from the Temporary Protected Status program, which was signed into law by President George Bush in 1990."
"A federal judge on Monday permanently blocked President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities. U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick rejected the administration's argument that the executive order applies only to a relatively small pot of money and said Trump cannot set new conditions on spending approved by Congress. The judge had previously made the same arguments in a ruling that put a temporary hold on the executive order."